C.G. Drews's Reviews > Half Lost

Half Lost by Sally Green

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2016, magical-fantasy, read-2016, paranormal, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, read-2017, reread
Read 2 times. Last read November 21, 2017 to November 24, 2017.

READ #2, November 2017:
I'M BROKEN AND EVERYTHING HURTS AND WHY THE HECK DID I WANT TO REREAD THIS. This book gave me anxiety. Also I freaking love it. I love this whole series. It is brutal and actually really cleverly told (the foreshadowing is A+ the whole way through) and it actually underlines the physical and psychological damage of war. The characters are real, so so real. I didn't read this book...I fell into it. The powerful writing, the agony, the triumph, the wildness and the brokenness have completely swallowed me whole.

I love it, ok. I truly love this trilogy. Also the pureness of Gabriel and Nathan is <3

(Please bring me The Smoke Thieves soonnnnn.)

READ #1: April 2016
This book actually BROKE ME INTO 1000000 PIECES AND I SHALL NEVER BE OKAY. I don't even know how to word right now. SOMEONE JUST LEAD ME TO A QUIET FIELD WHERE I SHALL STAY FOR ETERNITY IN MY BROKENNESS.

Okay but honestly: it was perfect. And I love this series. It is the most best and underrated series of my LIFE. Seriously, ever since I read Half Bad, I kind of suffocated under the realisation that this was raw, beautiful genius. The writing inspires me. Nathan is the most REAL character I've read in 3948398 years. (Um, yeah, I've lived that long. In book years, okay?) I get so choked up reading these books. I want to re-read them a million times. I want to just hold them and protect them because THEY ARE MIIIIIIIINE.

(PS I am broken.)

This book is a lot shorter than the others. And it is the perfect length. There is so much less weird-wacky formatting though? I liked how the formatting reflects Nathan and how he's maturing and changing. Buuuut I did miss it, because it's one of the biggest reasons I liked bk 1 so much.

But.

It was perfect.

AM I rEAPEATING mYSELF? whY Is tHAt yOU aSK? BeCAUSE mY MinD DOeS NoT worK.

And of course Nathan and Gabriel are forever my FAVOURITE. This is a ship that I have not shipped quite so aggressively in a long time. I JUST. I LOVE THEM. And Nathan is nasty in this book and Gabriel doesn't just take it (which I love) and I was so so worried and then I was so so happy and then I was so so -- um. Ahem. I shall not tell you my finale emotions.

Also I appreciate how Nesbit is the biggest Nathan/Gabriel shipper out there:
"Is Gabriel still mad at me?"
"Nesbitt hesitates and then says, "On a scale of one to ten, I'd say he's at nine and a half."
"So, it could be worse then."
"He'll calm down." Nesbitt nudges me and says, "The best thing about arguments is the making-up after. I see a big reconciliation ahead for you two: you apologise and he takes you into his arms and --"
"Nesbitt, shut up."

I SHIP THEM TOOOOOO NESBITT. (Wait is it Gathan or Nabriel?)

I just loved reading it so so much. Every time I put it down; I WANTED TO PICK IT BACK UP.

THIS SERIES HAS STOLEN MY HEART.

Oh shush everything, I need to talk spoilers: (view spoiler)

I cannot recommend it fiercely enough.

*** QUOTES ***

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

He says, "You know I love you. Still. Forever."

"You've been away a long time. Were you lost?" He sounds lost himself...
"Wounded, not lost," I tell him, but I do feel lost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Lost.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Sally Green
“Later I wake and he’s asleep and I move over him gently to kiss across his chest and listen to his slow heartbeat, and I want to stay there, listening to his heart. I feel strange. I can’t remember ever feeling like this. I think I’m sort of happy.”
Sally Green, Half Lost

March 29, 2014 – Shelved
March 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 13, 2016 – Started Reading
April 13, 2016 –
page 78
23.28% "No i'm not screaming inwardly in anticipation for this probably (definitely?) heartbreaking book.\n wHY dO yOu ASk."
April 14, 2016 –
page 203
60.6% "my shippy shipping heart just EXPLODED WITH FEELS. <33333"
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
November 21, 2017 – Started Reading
November 22, 2017 –
page 103
30.75% "It's amazing how much this book is FRIKKIN STRESSING ME OUT. For the second time. Why do I ask for this pain."
November 23, 2017 –
page 194
57.91% "Ok so the audiobook is slightly dramatised and there was an actual explosion -- and I JUMPED OUT OF MY FRIKKIN SKIN AND LOST 9 YEARS OFF MY LIFE AND SO THAT WAS MY DAY HOW ARE YOU."
November 23, 2017 –
page 300
89.55% "So if I don't keep reading then the ending doesn't happen yes?"
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
November 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: reread

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Ryland Someone told me the spoiler and I am not sure I'm continuing with these. Glad you loved them so much!

Miss Bookiverse Oooh, so glad you loved it! (view spoiler)

I'mogén I'm so happy you enjoyed it! I'm holding out because I don't want it to end.. Ever. But I just HAVE to get to it soon! (also, ignore my premature comment above xD)

message 4: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve I WAS SO TORN ABOUT THIS. On one hand: HALF BAD I LOVE THIS SERIES AND ASDFJKL CHARACTERS AND WITCHED AND I DON'T WANNA LET THEM GO. But also, you know, it would have been good to (view spoiler)

C.G. Drews @Jen: Someone nearly told me a spoiler WHILE I was reading it. -_- I think the ending stayed true to the characters and was realistic to the setting, if that helps?

@Miss Bookiverse: Okay so I ahve to admit (view spoiler)

C.G. Drews @I'mogen: eeeep! I HOPE YOU DO READ IT. I usually procrastinate finales but NOT THIS ONE. 3

@Eve: Ahhh, okay but I have to disagree because (view spoiler)

Miss Bookiverse (view spoiler)

C.G. Drews @Miss Bookiverse: (view spoiler)

message 10: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (view spoiler)

Finn Longman Okay first off all my jokes about Lynn turning into a tree are now painful and I'm sorry. Secondly -- I have that quote about the triumph of evil, which was originally by Edmund Burke, on my wall. Just a fun fact. It's been there a loooong time. I think I was about fourteen when I wrote it there. Thirdly, the thing about deaths and things is it's all relative (I wrote a post on this lately, can't remember if you saw it) -- if you have a bowl of chocolates and it's full and you take one out, no one's gonna notice. You have a bowl with three chocolates in, you take one out, it's pretty obvious. Which is why killing minorities sucks -- because they're minorities, and apparently that means you never get to live to the end. Although this didn't annoy me as much as many instances of the trope, it still falls into the same pattern, and while there is nothing inherently wrong with tropes I would like it if books would occasionally *gasp!* allow a happy ending for people who don't usually get one. But as I said, I wrote a loooooooong post about this recently, so I'm not gonna regurgitate it here.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: OKAY SO I'M GLAD YOU UNDERSTAND MY TREE PAIN. XD I still think this is the right ending. ;D

*whispers* Would you mind putting your comment in spoiler tags, tho? Just in case someone sees it who didn't want to know the ending? Eeeep, thanks. :)

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Even if this isn't my genre, I can't help but read your all reviews. You're enthusiasm is fantastic!

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Andrea: Aw, thank you! :D

Finn Longman Sorry, I'm on mobile and it wasn't letting me (and won't let me edit). I was trying to be as vague as possible and not give away any details...

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: Thaaaat's okay. ;D

message 17: by Lexie (new) - added it

Lexie Hmm. I read Half-bad but I wasn't sure if I was definitely gonna read the rest of the series, but your review has made me curious and a little eager to now. So you think I should?

message 18: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally May OMG I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING! I felt exactly the same when I finished Half Lost, broken and a mess. I often cry in books if they're really intense and I'm reading the last few chapters at midnight but THIS BOOK MADE ME FULL ON SOB AT 3:30 IN THE AFTERNOON! AND IT WASNT EVEN THE END OF THE BOOK!
I simultaneously loved and hate the ending. It was heartbreakingly true :)

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Lexie: I have no idea! I mean, I loved it. But you should do whatever you want. :)

@Ally: AFJDALKSD I'M SO GLAD YOU FEEL THE SAME. IT WAS PERFECT AND HEART BREAKING.

Sakura I only just started and honestly am having a little trouble getting in the mood to read it, even though I do want to -_-'

Anyway, my thoughts about the ending (I don't mind spoilers) and Nathan are pretty much completely in line with yours lol. I feel like Nathan turning into a tree after Gabriel's death is really familiar and like I've seen it in another book though I have no idea which. (view spoiler)

Adriane I just finished the book...I am a bloody mess. The whole turning into a tree thing kILLED MEE ... and Celia reading to Nathan again????!?! Ties the whole series together from the first book...I can't even think right now and THAT SERIES WAS SOOOO gooOODDdddDd

message 22: by Peabody (new)

Peabody It was amazing!!!!
While I see everyone's point that they brought up.
I loved this ending so much. I love all the books.
It felt so nabriel (that's the way I'm leaning)
Ack!! I want to add more but there spoilers and I'm on my phone and it won't let me hide them.....
I'm such a puddle from these books.....
I read all three in 2 days.... sigh
Now I don't know what to do.

message 23: by Peabody (new)

Peabody And it was celia because she said "I remembered the bread he used to make, back when I used to keep him in the cage."
I do wish she had her name at the start of the chapter though....

Karolyna @Cait (Paper Fury) Oh god I feel you on so many levels. This review is basically how I feel. I haven't cried for a book in 6 years and this book made me wail.

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Karolyna: It was so perfect and yet SO TERRIBLE I'M STILL DEVASTATED.

Kisses A Great review! When I read it I got angry at the ending though :( I was so sad and now looking at it from a fresh perspective I see why it deserves a 5* rating :)

Karolyna @Cait (Paper Fury) I FEEL YOU SO MUCH. Like I was like how could you do this to me Sally Green? How can you bomb my beautiful ship that was supposed to sail into a sunset?!

EmilyViolet Gathan, because it seems like the kind of silly pun Nesbitt would make
*goes to sob in corner because this book gives too many feels*

message 29: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Exactly how I feel! Except I wouldnt have let Gabriel die, and I had no idea Nathan was into Gabriel until they kissed in this book!

message 30: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger Okay so I'm jumping in on the discussion here. I haven't read Half Lost yet, mostly because I didn't like Half Wild enough to continue immediately. However, I've seen enough spoilers (and went searching for them myself so that's on me) to know what happens. My main issue wasn't the prospect of (view spoiler) But I totally respect your opinion and everything. I hope I don't come across like I'm trying to start a fight.

message 31: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger Wow I just realized I'm in on the discussion like four months late O:)

message 32: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Bookhugger: (view spoiler)

message 33: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Bookhugger: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler) Not actually sure if that was a spoiler but I'll keep it in there just in case ;)

message 34: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @BookHugger: Oh you weren't rude at all! I think your opinion on bisexuality obviously is much more worthwhile than mine will ever be. So I really appreciate you taking the time to give your point of view! Apologies if I've been rude myself.

message 35: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@BookHugger: Oh you weren't rude at all! I think your opinion on bisexuality obviously is much more worthwhile than mine will ever be. So I really appreciate you taking the time to give your point ..."

Oh good thank you. No worries on your part, you were never rude at all!

Carly McCunn I want to reread this series now this review just brought everything back to me

message 37: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Carly: Yesss do it!! It's so special.