BookLover's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

bookshelves: romance, reviews, author-first-reads, rs, kindle

Full disclosure - I picked up this book a gazillion years ago and it got buried in my to-read pile. As is my style, I began reading it because of the pretty cover WITHOUT actually reading the description and reminding myself what it was going to be about.

This was such a unique story. Julie was off to college far away from home and excited to experience new things. She didn’t anticipate getting ripped off and having no place to live. Cue Erin, an old friend of her mother’s, who stepped in, via her son Matt, to rescue Julie and gave her a roof over her head. So at this point I was guessing this was going to be a romance about Julie and Matt, right? I was not prepared for the actual story-line and everything that was Flat Finn.

“Oh, Julie! I didn't introduce you properly, did I?" Celeste chirped happily and then turned to the seat next to her. "Flat Finn, this is Julie. Julie, this is Flat Finn.”

As a result of separation anxiety over her brother, Finn, traveling, Celeste had become un-naturally attached to a life-size cutout of her absent brother. For reasons Julie couldn’t pull from Erin, Roger or Matt, Celeste was enabled.

In some ways, this had a very “Lars and the Real Girl” feel to it. (one of my all-time favourite movies- please don’t judge) Though very serious issues were at the heart of the story, I enjoyed the mostly light hearted approach to it, mainly thanks to Julie. I loved Julie’s outlook on life and, in particular, her no nonsense approach in trying to help Celeste come out of her shell. Her digs towards flat Finn were so dead-pan and hilarious.

"He is a bit unsettled by this. I've never had my nails painted."
Julie turned around and glared at Flat Finn. "Every girl has a right to painted nails, so you better get settled quick, Flatty.”
“Celeste giggled. "Oh, he didn't like that name one bit."
"Tough.”

In among all of the Celeste oddness, Matt seemed to have been left with the lion's share of responsibility in that household and I found myself so outraged on his behalf. I kept wanting to shake Erin and Roger and remind them both that THEY were the parents and Matt should get a chance to be a proper college student.

Julie and Matt’s growing friendship was amusing and, though Julie seemed to be in the dark, it was super obvious to me that they had chemistry and a strong bond. The back and forth between them showed such a camaraderie and like mindedness.

“Bye, Matt. Maybe I'll text you in Webdings later and give you an update on my evening." Her heels clicked soundly on the floor as she headed down the stairs.
"Webdings one, two, or three?" Matt's voice rang through the stairwell.
"I'll mix and match!”

“What is this?"
"It's a gastronomical representation of 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.'" Julie put her hands on her hips. "Don't you see it? The clear depiction of the struggle for sexual identity as evidenced by the two phallic shapes?"
Matt looked at her. "What are you talking about?"
"What are you talking about? It's manicotti, you nut. What do you think it is?”

Even though I guessed the "twist" pretty early on I still felt like I had been sucker punched when the reveal happened. (view spoiler) Strangely though, I was more emotional for Julie than I was for anyone else impacted by it. I suppose that was largely because of all the lying that had taken place.

Surprising and delightful read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

March 29, 2014 – Shelved
August 30, 2016 – Shelved as: reviews
September 1, 2016 – Shelved as: author-first-reads
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: rs
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Sounds GREAT!!!

BookLover Elyse wrote: "Sounds GREAT!!!"
I really enjoyed it Elyse!!!

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Terrific review, babe! ;)

BookLover Arianna wrote: "Terrific review, babe! ;)"
Thanks so much Arianna!! :)

BookLover Stephanie wrote: "Wonderful!!"
Awww thanks Stephanie!! :)

message 6: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn fab review Hun xx

BookLover Dawn wrote: "fab review Hun xx"
Thanks so much Dawn!!!

message 8: by Ayushi (new)

Ayushi Agarwal Fab review :)

maggieandteddy Great review BookLover. This was one of the first ebooks that I ever read. I should do a reread. Thanks for reminding me! ^_^

BookLover maggieandteddy wrote: "Great review BookLover. This was one of the first ebooks that I ever read. I should do a reread. Thanks for reminding me! ^_^"

Ayushi wrote: "Fab review :)"
Thanks so much ladies!!!

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ Awesome review love! I'm glad you review this one because I haven't seen it before but it looks really good. xo

BookLover Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ wrote: "Awesome review love! I'm glad you review this one because I haven't seen it before but it looks really good. xo"
Thanks Danielle. I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too. :)

message 13: by Christi (new) - added it

Christi Another great review that made me add it to my "to read" list.

BookLover Christi wrote: "Another great review that made me add it to my "to read" list."
Thanks Christi! I hope you like it. :)