Roz ~ My Written Romance's Reviews > Losing Kate

Losing Kate by Kylie Kaden

You can read this and my other reviews at My Written Romance.

I was provided with an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5

We hear the tale of Kate and the impact her loss had on those who loved and knew her through the eyes of Frankie.

Frankie and Jack were never apart as children, the very best of friends. Then Kate arrived in their lives, a whirlwind who blew in and changed it in more ways than she could ever know. Frankie watched from the sidelines, trying to ignore a rising sense of jealousy in seeing her friends get together. But in their world, nothing was what it appeared to be on the surface, and on a camping trip one weekend, everything changed.

The pace of the story was fast without being dizzying, told in a mixture of present day and flashbacks. Sometimes, the back and forth approach to storytelling can throw me out, however not so in this case. The glimpses of the past made it possible for me to understand the motivations of Frankie and Jack in the present world.

The connection between Frankie and Jack is electric. Even with the external difficulties (Jack has a partner and child) and the memories of Kate that are ever-present, I could see that there was meant to be something more than simply friendship between them. I did find myself wondering how Kylie Kaden would resolve their relationship without it descending into a cheating book, and how it is done is definitely satisfying.

I saw aspects of the character Kate that remind me of particular people that I've known throughout my life. The suspense and mystery surrounding Kate's disappearance is really well done. I have to say I was not expecting the outcome to be what it was - and I loved that. Being kept guessing without being totally confused as to what happened - that's my romantic suspense catnip right there.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to say what I want to without giving the game away, so I'll stop there. The more that I read of Losing Kate, the harder it was to believe that this is Kylie's debut release. As I stated on Goodreads, shortly after reading it, Kaden writes with a voice that belies her newcomer status. This was so beautifully written and I cannot wait to read more from this fabulous new Australian author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Kate.

March 29, 2014 – Started Reading