Mark's Reviews > Hitch 22: A Memoir

Hitch 22 by Christopher Hitchens

Mar 28, 2014

bookshelves: atheism
Recommended to Mark by: I am a long-time fan of Hitchens' speeches and debates
Recommended for: anyone who likes Hitchens' style and wants more

Hitchens is a smart writer and his phlegmatic reading is entertaining with his dry sense of humor. The cultural and political references are somewhat lost on me as I don't appear to have paid attention during the sixties and seventies. (I was very small then and I haven't made up for it since.)
Hitchens is a master of language, but so brilliantly conversational. I listened to the author's own reading of the book and read along at the same time. His recorded voice has a conversational tone that matches both his speaking and writing style. Yet, he drops so many cultural and literary references just outside of my range. The visible words help me put them in context should I encounter them again.
I recommend Hitch-22 to anyone who likes Hitchens' style and wants more. I plan to pursue more Hitchens titles. I'm sad he's not around to write more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitch 22.

March 28, 2014 – Started Reading
March 28, 2014 – Shelved
March 28, 2014 –
page 65
14.94% "I started reading this at one point, but it seemed dry. I checked out (from the library) hatchette audio's unabridged reading on CD. It's read by Christopher Hitchens himself, and I'm finding it as brilliant as I expected."
March 28, 2014 – Finished Reading
page 46
10.57% "I started reading this at one point, but it seemed dry. I checked out (from the library) hatchette audio's unabridged reading on CD. It's read by Christopher Hitchens himself, and I'm finding it as brilliant as I expected."
page 62
14.25% "Just finished listening to the chapter entitled "Fragments of an Education.""
page 148
34.02% "I am listening to disc 6 of 15. Hitchens is a smart writer and his phlegmatic reading is entertaining with his dry sense of humor. The cultural and political references are somewhat lost on me as I don't appear to have paid attention during the sixties and seventies. I was very small then and I haven't made up for it since."
page 160
36.78% "In the chapter entitled "The Fenton Factor""
March 31, 2014 –
page 179
41.15% "Finished the chapter profiling Martin Amis. Hitchens is a master of language, but so brilliantly conversational. I am both listening and reading along. First, his recorded voice has a conversational tone that matches both his speaking and writing style. Second, he drops so many cultural and literary references just outside of my range. The visible words help me put them in context should I encounter them again."
April 3, 2014 –
page 239
54.94% "Hitchens must have enjoyed writing this memoir. I know I'm delighted. There is a lot that seems difficult to revisit, but the parts I especially like are the witty and sharp comments on people and events that he presses so strongly, yet with a dispassionate air."
April 3, 2014 –
page 261
60.0% "In the chapter entitled "Changing Places," the author tells of his insightful and thought-provoking road to American citizenship. Hitchens "got around." He speaks of his encounters with prominent men and women (some of whom are influential Americans, and a few who are highly-placed political influencers), and yet he struggled, as did, to overcome the bottlenecks to citizenship. He made it, and with a flourish."