Carrie's Reviews > The Next Best Thing

The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins

Feb 12, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, read-2010, humorous, manipulative-friends-family, friends-to-lovers
Read from March 23 to 24, 2010

Pros: Kristan Higgins can write. You won't find clunky phrasing or bad transitions in the book.The writing is tight and solid.
Ethan is a great hero. I loved him and his sexy, gentle ways.

Cons: Lucy was a totally unappealing and unsympathetic heroine. She's emotionally stunted (and surrounded by emotionally-stunted family, her mother being the worst), self-absorbed, dense, and obsessive. Almost 6 years after her husband of 8 months died, she is still wallowing in self-righteous grief. She can't walk through the cemetery, she can't eat her own desserts, she buys expensive cloths she won't wear, and can't see the great guy she has right in front of her. Oh, yeah, and she watches and rewatches her wedding video! This is not a "funny but flawed" heroine. This is the portrait of a woman in dire need of professional help~ grief counseling at the very least. (The only person in the book who is really emotionally healthy is Parker, the mother of Ethan's son.)

Higgins often uses cringeworthy scenes of embarrassment and/or humiliation for humor. Many authors do this and I know it's popular. It's not my favorite, although it can be funny if not overdone.

The ending came together a little too neatly. We're suppose to believe that Lucy finally let it all go in one fell swoop and was miraculously able deal with all the grief and doubts, even though she'd had Ethan in front of her for years and hadn't been able to see the truth.

I had a aha moment while reading this book: Ms. Higgins has a habit of writing self-absorbed, dense, and obsessive heroines.

I gave this book 3 stars because of the writing and Ethan. ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Best Thing.

03/24/2010 page 200
50.0% "I had an AHA moment. I don't like Higgin's heroines. She writes self-absorbed, delusional heroines."
10/15/2016 marked as: read

Laura (Kyahgirl) Perfect review. you hit the nail on the head. I forgot to review this book when I read it. Loved Ethan...could hardly stand the rest of them.