Naomi's Reviews > Finding Home: Livie and Jake

Finding Home by Allie Juliette Mousseau

This is a bit of a moving journey for the characters in this book. Livie (Olivia) and Jake have had an attraction for years and because of the age difference they didn’t have an opportunity to explore it. I liked seeing the small glimpses into how they spent some secret time together before Jake made the decision to join the Army. Now that Jake is home, you can see that war has affected him. He is a little jumpy and his mood swings are out of character. The town is holding a welcome back party for Jake, and Livie is nervous about seeing him again. She has always kept him close to her heart, even though they haven’t had contact in some time.

I liked both the characters… Livie is a smart girl and is also very sweet. She sees the good in everyone and it was funny to see her sort her feelings out in her head only for the opposite words to come out. I think she wants to make a stand in some instances, but the opposite occurs! Jake has had it tough and is finding it hard to deal with everything that he has been through, but he knows it is a little easier with Livie around.

It was interesting to see the story unfold. It wasn’t easy for them to rekindle their relationship as it appeared Jake was giving mixed signals, but I soon came to realise he was struggling with fitting back into a normal life. I liked how Livie stepped up and helped him through the difficult times and was his back bone. But what I loved most was how Jake used music to express his feelings and I would’ve loved more of that!

There were also some great secondary characters introduced into this story. Jake’s brothers and his sister - Jules, in particular is Livie’s best friend and pushes Livie to put herself out there. Livie’s brother - Nate is great too and has always been there for Livie. These characters gave greater depth to the story and you can see how close they all are, like an extended family.

I liked how the author touched on a serious issue that effects people who serve their countries all over the world. It is astonishing to know what soldiers go through, only to be let down by their country in the end. I think she did a great job telling Jake and Livie’s story and I am keen to read more by her. Next on the plate is Nate and Jules book and I’m excited to see these two get together!!

Complimentary copy provided by the Author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Home.

March 28, 2014 – Started Reading