Ami's Reviews > Encountered to Death

Encountered to Death by Meg Perry

liked it
bookshelves: mm-contemporary

Once again I will refer to ttg review because she said things I wanted to say.

Reading this book is like coming back to your friends -- the writing and the characters feel familiar, that it becomes easy to lose a couple of hours in it. This time, Jamie and Pete go to Alamogordo, New Mexico with Jamie's nephew, Colin, to visit Pete's older brother, Steve. Unlike the previous books, the dead body in the mystery element don't really related to any of them. So it stayed behind the scene. Neither Jamie nor Pete are questioned by the authorities (well, there is one scene with the FBI but only a glimpse). Most of the time, Jamie is listing his activities with Pete and Colin during this holiday. The answer to the mystery is also a bit anti-climatic (and I feel cheated a little bit).

I still really enjoy this -- it is a quick read and it is nice to read stories about them. There isn't much progress on Jamie and Pete's relationship -- since they're in holiday and it seems they are going to the couples therapy -- BUT Pete does raise a question that a part of his hetero-normative expectation. It DOES make me wonder if it's too much work for these two. Sure, Jamie and Pete say that they love each other and Jamie is determined not to give up this time ... but it seems that there are issues after issues between the two. I just hope somehow they find a common ground.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encountered to Death.

March 28, 2014 – Shelved
March 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-already-released
April 1, 2014 – Shelved as: mm-contemporary
April 1, 2014 –
36.0% "I wonder if Pete and Jamie keep having issues of different expectation, will that be a good thing for them to be in the relationship? Will they have therapy all throughout?"
April 2, 2014 – Started Reading