Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Crown Duel

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite
Read 4 times. Last read March 25, 2014 to March 27, 2014.

I love this story and have reread it a couple of times over the years. A new edition with new scenes from Vidanric's point of view has been released through Book View Café, making this a great time to read it again. I highly recommend getting this edition as the price is incredible and the added stories justify the cost alone. If you're already a fan, you'll enjoy the added insights and Smith's writing keeps it fresh and much more than a simple retelling of the familiar in slightly altered form. If you aren't already a fan, then I envy you the experience of enjoying this book for the first time (and encourage you to get right on it).

Smith is a master of her craft, delivering vivid description, immersive world building, fully developed characters, and an engaging plot in a story that held me enthralled even as familiar as I am with it already. And now I find myself in some difficulty. Both Melissa and Hallie have written such excellent (and in-depth) reviews recently that I find I have little else to add. Being the lazy coward that I am, I'll simply recommend you drop by either (or both) of their links if you want more in-depth analysis of the book and why it is so great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown Duel.

March 25, 2014 – Started Reading
March 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2014 – Shelved
March 27, 2014 – Shelved as: favorite
March 27, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 27, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Melissa McShane You're so lazy. But we did write good reviews. :)

Jacob Proffitt Melissa wrote: "You're so lazy. But we did write good reviews. :)"

Yes. And True. :)

Hallie Jacob wrote: "Melissa wrote: "You're so lazy. But we did write good reviews. :)"

Yes. And True. :)"

Well, I was going to say that you (Jacob) are anything but lazy about book reviewing, so it was even more of a compliment. :) Melissa has all the info in reality, but my version makes me happy, so I'll stick with it. Thanks!

Melissa McShane He didn't even discuss it with me, other than the obligatory burbling! I feel cheated.

Hallie Melissa wrote: "He didn't even discuss it with me, other than the obligatory burbling! I feel cheated."

Didn't discuss the book + extras or didn't discuss your review? "Obligatory burbling" could go either way. :)

Melissa McShane He said "Good review" and "the book was really good" and that was about it. Though I can't recall asking for more discussion than that, so it's probably my fault.

Hallie Very burbly! :) Becca gets in moods when she does not want to talk books, and was in one yesterday. I just said "smitten" to her, and her expression was joy. :) (For me - she was suffering from feeling overload still!)

Hallie Melissa wrote: "And am now reading A Stranger to Command and love young Vidanric already--so weird to see him so out of his depth!"

Oops - meant to say that it's wonderful you're loving it/him, and it must be very strange to go straight from the Duels into A Stranger to Command! Interesting, just noticed the capitalisation of the title there, and how "To" rather than "to" would bring out one of the alternate meanings... Idle thoughts!

Melissa McShane Hallie wrote: " Interesting, just noticed the capitalisation of the title there, and how "To" rather than "to" would bring out one of the alternate meanings... Idle thoughts!"

Oh, I just now got the double meaning! :) Poor Becca. I'm rather in overloads of feeling from Clare/Russ and have to drive to a distant library to get book 5 today. Jacob's behind me by a book and a half and I can't burble about that to him, which is frustrating.

Hallie Here I was imagining you guys living in library paradise! Of course, it could be that you wouldn't have had to drive a long way to get book 5 if you'd been willing to wait a bit for it? You still have feeling-overload sympathy either way, of course! (I just finished 7 and it was a tough read for me for a lot of reasons, aside from authorial cruelty.)

Melissa McShane My library (the one where I work) only has 6 and 7, so I had to request 5 and 8. But then I realized I could drive to one of the branches and get 5. But THEN they already shipped the hold, so I decided to put on my big girl panties and wait a day. 7 was tough? I'm worried about 5 after what you said about it being three stars until you read 6. Basically I've been sucked into this series and it is once again All Your Fault. Seriously, though, thank you!

Hallie Frustrating! But I'm glad it's only a day. I saw that you'd written a comment on 4 last night, but it was just before I turned off the light and thought it was 5 and I was all "HOW has Melissa read it ALREADY?!?". Not at my brightest, but still a relief to see it was a comment to 4 this morning. I do feel more apologetic about this series being my fault than about Crown/Court Duel, for which I'm pretty much basking in the joy of responsibility. :)

Melissa McShane I just hope 5 is the one that comes in today and not 8. I'd read the first one and requested the next three, so of course it took three days for 2 even though 3 and 4 were there overnight. And I'm so glad you recommended this series, however emotionally overwrought it's made me! I've got Jacob addicted too, I think, and it's been a long time since we've both liked the same book at the same time. So that's good too.

Jacob Proffitt Melissa wrote: "I've got Jacob addicted too, I think, and it's been a long time since we've both liked the same book at the same time. So that's good too. "

No doubt about it, really. Though I'm getting a bit emotionally raw and may need a break, soon. And that's only after the third book...

Hallie It's so great that you two are reacting this way to the books too!

Just wanted to say, as - perhaps - your token Anglican friend, that Clare's getting tipsy at the party in the second book really bothered me. I love that she's shown as every bit as three-dimensional a character as anyone else, rather than someone who's supposed to be above all weaknesses because she's a priest, but this... The issue of her relationship with alcohol is something that carries through the books, but here it bothered me in that sense and also because she's going to this party in an official capacity. Granted, it doesn't seem much more than a bit of convenient authorial pushing to get her doing one of the stupider bits of investigative snooping of the series, but it's still not much in keeping with her strong sense of pastoral responsibility, I thought. Not saying that an Episcopal priest wouldn't have done something like that, you understand, just that I found it upsetting that this one did.

Jacob Proffitt Hallie wrote: "The issue of her relationship with alcohol is something that carries through the books, but here it bothered me in that sense and also because she's going to this party in an official capacity. Granted, it doesn't seem much more than a bit of convenient authorial pushing to get her doing one of the stupider bits of investigative snooping of the series, but it's still not much in keeping with her strong sense of pastoral responsibility, I thought. Not saying that an Episcopal priest wouldn't have done something like that, you understand, just that I found it upsetting that this one did."

Interesting. I thought it was out of character, too, but since I know very little about Episcopalians (or the Anglican Communion overall) and their expectations of priests it was for different reasons than your own. You can almost justify it as a reaction to having just met Parteger and having been kind of ignominiously shot down by his reaction on learning she's a priest, but that ascribes too much weight to a "relationship" that hasn't even really started, yet. Add that she'd have to have lost a whole lot more general IQ than I think is really possible, it felt really out of place. Frankly, that whole section was awkward and I was relieved when it was finally over.

Hallie Jacob wrote: "I thought it was out of character, too, but since I know very little about Episcopalians (or the Anglican Communion overall) and their expectations of priests it was for different reasons than your own"

In all honesty, I can't go much beyond an obvious statement that we aren't forbidden alcohol and that I'd hope/expect that any parishioner OR priest who had a problem with alcohol would be treated with compassion. Other than that, though, it's all gut reaction rather than real knowledge. (And a lot of people's guts are much more relaxed about excessive alcohol consumption than mine!) I've never seen any of my rectors of past or present any the worse for wear, FWIW.

Melissa McShane Yay! I have a token Anglican friend!

I hadn't thought about the alcohol thing, actually, and I probably should have. Especially, as you say, she's there in a sort of official capacity and ought to be a better representative of her faith than that. I enjoyed that sequence mainly because Hugh was so fun, but otherwise it felt a little forced.

Starting book 5 now. Back eventually. :)

Melissa McShane Jacob wrote: "Though I'm getting a bit emotionally raw and may need a break, soon. And that's only after the third book..."

You can't stop now! How am I supposed to avoid spoilers?!?

Hallie Jacob wrote: "And I admit that I mourned a little for the loss of a really nice pair of shoes...
"

:) Forgot this last night! Guess it's cheaper than losing a car, though no insurance cover. I don't GET that kind of spending on shoes, myself, though possibly because I wouldn't be able ( or willing) to walk in the heels of fashion.

Hallie I can't believe how quickly you got through 5 AND 6. Even for you it's startling!

Jacob Proffitt Hallie wrote: "I don't GET that kind of spending on shoes, myself, though possibly because I wouldn't be able ( or willing) to walk in the heels of fashion."

I get it, though I can't walk in them either...

Hallie Jacob wrote: "Hallie wrote: "I don't GET that kind of spending on shoes, myself, though possibly because I wouldn't be able ( or willing) to walk in the heels of fashion."

I get it, though I can't walk in them either..."

:)² Also, I've just figured out a mystery that's been puzzling me; clearly nobody ever sleeps in the Proffitt household! It's a relief to know how you both get to be such ridiculous overachievers. :P

Melissa McShane Hallie wrote: "I can't believe how quickly you got through 5 AND 6. Even for you it's startling!"

Dedication and ignoring everything else and staying up until past midnight. And then staying up another two hours to write reviews and just bask. :)

Melissa McShane Hallie wrote: "Also, I've just figured out a mystery that's been puzzling me; clearly nobody ever sleeps in the Proffitt household! It's a relief to know how you both get to be such ridiculous overachievers. :P"

Jacob never sleeps. And he's always got at least three books going at once. I admit I was surprised at how quickly I got through these last two. I actually snarled at my son for interrupting me when I was five pages from the end of #5. Snarled. He gave me the funniest look, mumbled something about "why won't you read Words of Radiance," and carefully closed the door.

Hallie Started replying out of order last night, but had shut down the desktop and GR comments are a pain on an iPad. Even on Safari, rather than the terrible app.

Wow. I'm delighted for your late-night basking and review writing, and of course it was totally worth it to get onto book 6, but ... I like sleep.

It's probably a good thing that your son was so unprepared for your ... snarling ... or there might be a new YouTube hit right now. :D Are you going to have to make it up to him by breaking down and reading it now after all?

Melissa McShane Hallie wrote: "t's probably a good thing that your son was so unprepared for your ... snarling ... or there might be a new YouTube hit right now. :D Are you going to have to make it up to him by breaking down and reading it now after all?"

Hallie Melissa wrote: "It's like a thousand pages. I guess I could, but...I'd have to read the first book again, which is another thousand pages, because I barely remember what happened except that one character was nearly killed by a pot of jam. I'll have to think of some other repayment. :)"

:) Pot of jam does seem a potentially memorable way for a character to go all right. I keep thinking I should read the first book and keep getting overwhelmed at the thought of the many, many days it'll take me and the doubtless horrible paperback - and the audio is something like 45 hours. I do NOT do enough cleaning to get through that in a hurry. :)

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Way of Kings jam spoiler: (view spoiler)

(I love Way of Kings and Brandon Sanderson in general, but I am currently on a break from pushing books over 1000 pages onto people, so you are safe from me!)

Melissa McShane Katie wrote: "Way of Kings jam spoiler:"

You see why I can't go back to the book, if I can forget that. :) I liked Way of Kings a lot, I really admire Brandon Sanderson, but I just don't care about epic fantasy anymore. Maybe I'll change my mind someday.