Julie Bozza's Reviews > Homecoming

Homecoming by N.M. Harris

Mar 27, 2014

bookshelves: male-male, fiction, australia

I received a free copy of this novella from the author - the wonderful Relle - in return for an honest review.

I've read a number of Relle's stories and novels, and I know I can always count on her for a good yarn. This was no exception.

Jack Burns comes home from a tour of duty overseas, and is disappointed, annoyed though not overly surprised to find that his best mate Elliot Talbott isn't at the airport to meet him. By the time Jack finally tracks Elliot down, they are both deep (pun intended!) in a dangerous mystery set in suburban Melbourne. Their adventure prompts the two men to at last take their relationship to the next level - and we finish with a definite sense of many stories yet to come as the new investigative duo 'Talbott and Burns' are called on 'to explain the inexplicable'. While their evolving relationship isn't inexplicable, there's an edge to it and also plenty of differences between the two friends - all of which suggests further stories resolving more personal puzzles as well.

I always enjoy Relle's Australian settings, which are fair dinkum while remaining distinctly urban. There's always a real feel of life as it is lived in Australia today. Her characters are interestingly layered as individuals and well juxtaposed as a pairing. Her plot, meanwhile, keeps the pages turning.

Homecoming was a great start to what I hope will become an intriguing series once Talbott and Burns really hit their stride together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homecoming.

March 27, 2014 – Shelved