Zeek's Reviews > Mercury's War

Mercury's War by Lora Leigh

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, favorites-pnr, pnr, alpha-hero, favorite-hero

Mecury's War- the 16th book in Lora Leigh's popular Breed Series, was a total hit for me. I actually got choked up while reading it, and it's been a long time since a romance novel (albeit PARANORMAL!) has moved me that much.

In Mercury's War we get Mercury's story- a lion breed closest to the lion side than many of his breed brothers & sisters. In Leigh's Breed world, the genetically enhanced hybrids mate for life- if a partner dies then the one left behind suffers- they become "feral"- and never will find another perfect match.

When the feline breed who Mercury believed to be his mate dies years ago while they were still in captivity, he went berserk, tearing humans limb from limb. After that, the scientists who created and enslaved the breeds developed a drug to tame the beast inside him and since then he's lived a half existence- with limited enhanced abilities, so unlike his brethren.

Mercury has given up on ever finding a partner in life. But then he meets Ria, that paper pusher of one Dane Vanderale- a son of the great Leo- the first breed. Unbeknownst to both Mercury and Ria, Ria has touched the caged beast inside of Merc and when the beast begins to awaken, people start running scared. Especially Ely, the trusted doctor who knows all the feline's secrets. When Ely discovers Merc's feral side awakening, she demands he be imprisoned- for the safety of the pride.

But things are not what they seem, and Ria finds herself defending the strange breed who both attracts and frightens her. She knows that he will never be truly hers and that if she lets him- he will break her world apart- but another game's afoot at Sanctuary, the feline breed compound, and it will take Ria to suss it out and save not only Merc, but the entire clan.

Like I said earlier, I LOVED this one. Mercury is an awesome alpha hero, both possessive and tender, and Ria is heart-wrenching in her vulnerability. But she is no shrinking wallflower and when what she truly is comes to the front everything else- including Mercury- takes a backseat to her innate strength!

Many of leigh's other series I can't get into, but the breed series just gets better and better, imo. In MW not only do we get a touching love story, we also get to see the other characters we know and love (JONAS!) and a kickbutt suspense plot.

I'm giving this one a 5 out of 5! How could I not?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercury's War.

Started Reading