Zeek's Reviews > Beyond the Highland Mist

Feb 12, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: hist-rom-scottish, rom-time-travel, romance
Read in April, 2011

At the whim of the Fae, Adrianne is thrown back in time to a man who lords over a castle in the same way he lords over all around him, a man like no other- especially like no other she’s even met in the late 20th century! Hawk had never met a woman like Adrianne either, witty and intelligent she’s supposed to be the mad woman the malicious Scottish King James had intended for him to marry. Far from it, she hooked him from the moment he lays eyes on her.

The fae meddle in their lives like the capricious gods of old with the King of Fae determined to bring down the lady killer Hawk because of his supposed involvement with his Queen and the devilish Fae Adam Black just as determined to see Hawk brought to his knees for daring to dally with the Faery Queen.

Be that as it may, Hawk is determined to have Adrianne’s love and he’ll stop at nothing to woo her from her determination to keep him at bay. He’ll take her to the highest heights and dash her hopes to the lowest of lows. She’ll break his heart like no other and in the end- tear apart her very soul to keep him safe.

I tried reading this book long ago but never got far because it bored me. A friend gave it, and a few other of Moning’s books, to me recently on audio so I thot what the heck, I’ll give it another shot. Ok- I listened to it all this time and yes it wasn’t quite as boring… but that’s mostly because I laughed my way through much of the first half of it! (the hero’s ability to make her nipples hard just by his rough chuckle had me in stiches. )

This is old school romance and frankly a sorta ridiculous one. Not so much the plot, the misunderstandings and misdirection actually kinda worked for me- although it started to get old when it kept up thru 2/3rds of the book- no, it was the silly dialogue and “romantic” lovemaking that worked on my nerves as well as Adrianne, embittered by a former shitty boyfriend with the face of an angel, determined to resist the gorgeous Hawk! Plus Adrianne kept switching accents, flopping back and forth between an excellent Scottish brogue (ok that’s because the actor voicing it probably really is Scottish) and a faint very fake New Awlins put on accent (ok that’s because of the former reason too) which I suppose wouldn’t have been as noticeable annoying if I hadn’t been listening to the audiobook version. I know why the author did it, the lady was in medieval Scotland afterall, it just took me out of the story.

But then … it got better. Oddly it wasn’t till they separated that it got good for me…once they finally got passed their misunderstandings, came back together, and began to cling to each other before she disappeared for good.

So although it had some truly romantic moments at times, the overwrought prose and descriptive settings were a bit much. Still, not as bad as I thought it would be when I began it and the ending proved to be most memorable. (I love how The Hawk finally trapped the nefarious Adam Black so he could keep Adrianne for good! Yep, most memorable!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Highland Mist.

12/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by LWB Marissa (new)

LWB Marissa Love this series but for me the first two parts were average, KMM had me hooked from part 3, especially part 4,5 and 7!

message 2: by Zeek (last edited Apr 07, 2011 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zeek Oh yes 4 5 and especially 7 were def. 5 stars! :P

I tried reading this and book 2, yrs ago, but never got too far. Gave up and skipped to book 4.

Now, flush with Fever series fever, I capitulated and tried again- this time on audio. Worked better for me since I could also do something else at the same time so I could get passed the boring bits...

message 3: by Bark's Book Nonsense (last edited Apr 07, 2011 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bark's Book Nonsense I had issues with this one and yep it was boring as hell but had moments that kept me reading.

Zeek exactly!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I had issues with this one and yep it was boring as hell but had moments that kept me reading."

Yes, I felt that way, too!!!!