Cindy's Reviews > The View from Mount Joy

Feb 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010
Read from February 12 to 17, 2010

The best word I can come up with to describe this book is "weird."

It tells the tale of Joe Andreson, starting in high school through college graduation and beyond, with details of his childhood sprinkled throughout. It also describes his relationships with his mother, his aunt, and his friends Kristi, Kirk, and Darva. Later, we learn about how he came to be a grocer, a father, and finally, a husband.

What should have been an interesting tale of one individual's life turned into a crazed description of Kristi's career as a radio and television evangelist. I was surprised not only by the nature of her relationship with Joe, but how it continued through the years despite Kristi's career. After finishing this book, it seems that this relationship probably should have faded away as the friends grew apart. I never really understood the relationship, even after the "friends with benefits" nature of it ceased.

The book also jumped around a great deal, and major events in the characters' lives were just glossed over. I don't really understand why the author wrote this way, and frankly, it jarred the story for me.

It is doubtful that I'll pick up any other books by Landvick in the future... I just didn't like her writing style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The View from Mount Joy.

02/12/2010 page 30