Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

bookshelves: read-in-2014

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

5 STARS!

Since I’m a huge Levithan fangirl, I got myself prepared to write this review by deciding to flag every “definition” that made me feel something while I was reading. Well, I definitely felt some things and flagged all some of the pages . . .

My feelings ranged from magical

like in the definitions of cache and gingerly and meander and posterity and rifle and sacrosanct and transient and unabashedly and woo and yesterday

to amused like in the definitions of candid and celibacy and deciduous and non sequitor and qualm

to honest like in the definitions of commonplace and epithet and inadvertent and perfunctory and recant and ubiquitous

to feeling as if I had been punched in the gut

like in the definitions for abyss and breach and dispel and fast and gamut and happenstance and jerk and livid and quixotic and raze and serrated and zenith

Levithan’s words move me like no other and I’m unapologetically in love with his writing.

What can I say? I might just be his #1 Fan.

“Measure the hope of that moment, that feeling. Everything else will be measured against it.”

Whenever I finish a David Levithan book, I find myself measuring other authors against him. Authors who I truly enjoy and would normally get recommended get thrown to the wayside so I can tell my friends to read Levithan instead. (Especially Two Boys Kissing. Drop whatever you are reading and go read Two Boys Kissing.)

“No matter how many words there are, there will never be enough.”

I am so enamored with Levithan’s writing that I am consciously spacing out his books and not allowing myself to consume them all because I know the above quote will hold true.

In an effort to avoid being sued by the author for republishing his work in its entirety while desperately attempting to convey my feelings in this review, I’m throwing in the towel and just telling you to read The Lover’s Dictionary. And then read everything else by David Levithan (even Every Day, which I didn’t much care for).

Oh, and one more thing. We should invent more words that begin with X.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.

March 27, 2014 – Shelved
March 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2014 – Started Reading
April 3, 2014 –
page 22
10.43% "Advance apologies for the fangirling you may experience today. Levithan is just . . . it for me.\n \n "
April 3, 2014 –
page 55
26.07% ""I'm swimming in your candences, you permeate my very language"\n \n "
April 3, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
April 3, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Awwww that's awesome! I'm on the leviathan & Green fangirling team, also. Although I didn't LOVE Every Day

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yeah, I didn't love that one either. But Two Boys Kissing, Will Grayson Will Grayson, Nick & Norah, etc. all make up for it : )

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* he lost me on two specific moments in that one. I need more Levithan in my life ;)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I requested this one and then saw The Realm of Possibilities was available on Kindle from the library so I checked it out too. I normally don't read the same author back-to-back, but I have to make an exception in this case ; )

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* I had to force myself to space out my John Green books because I just wanted to devour everything he'd ever written lol.

I'll have to check this one out though :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I did that with John Green. Thank God my library does a "reading refresh" (you tell them a book/author you liked and they'll give you a bunch more). I found Levithan that way, and Patrick Ness, and A.S. King, and Matthew Quick, and Stephen Chbotsky, and Andrew Smith, and Adam Rapp, and Rainbow Rowell, and Daniel Handler, and Markus Zusak, and Gary Schmidt, and on, and on, and on : )

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Oh, that's cool! I found a number of those on my own actually. So many books, so little time :P

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* I found John Green because his name was very similar to my ex's (my current at the time) and it amused me. Looking for Alaska was on sale so I said what the hay.... and fell in love - in an a-sexual way - with John Green!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) LOL! I read "An Abundance of Katherines" first and, yep, I wanted to hop right in his drawers after reading it . . .

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Oh that's the only one I haven't read yet... I've been saving it :P

Kelly (and the Book Boar) It's very different - NOT a tearjerker at all.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karly wrote: "I am a monster, I've never cried during any of Green's books."

And that's why I love you. I did cry during TFiOS, but I was probably on my period ; )

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* I can see that, especially if you have kids... which you do, yeah? I have a shelf, books that made me cry I think there are three of them.... maybe 4. I am a mooooonster :P

A Thousand Splendid Suns killed me, though!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karly wrote: "I can see that, especially if you have kids... which you do, yeah? I have a shelf, books that made me cry I think there are three of them.... maybe 4. I am a mooooonster :P"

*snort*

I am still wanting an ugly cry. I get a little teary at times, (last one was Winger (even though I knew what was coming)), but I want to full out bawl and get the kids worried about my sanity (more than usual) : )

I just got notice that Tell the Wolves I'm Home is ready for me at the library (which is supposed to be a guaranteed tear-maker), but some of my friends here just read it and hated it. I have a feeling I'll be on the hate side of the coin . . .

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* I haven't heard of that one. It's terrible when people tell me how much they bawled when they read a book.... and I'm left going "heh, but why....". I heard that about The Book Thief but I finished and, all I could think was when, when was crying happening here...
Maybe I should read Winger.... on my period! LOL

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karly wrote: "I haven't heard of that one. It's terrible when people tell me how much they bawled when they read a book.... and I'm left going "heh, but why....". I heard that about The Book Thief but I finished..."

Ha! Definitely only read Winger when you are already emotional 'cause you probably won't cry. I had a bad week and needed an outlet. Otherwise I think I would have remained rock solid.

I didn't get the crybaby hype of The Book Thief either. I preferred I am the Messenger by the same author. I still didn't cry, but it was a much better book.

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Hmmmm, I should check that one out too. I loved The Book Thief but it was like The Diary of a Young Girl for me....*ouch, ouch stop flogging me* because the ending was obvious.... so tears were unattainable.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karly wrote: "Hmmmm, I should check that one out too. I loved The Book Thief but it was like The Diary of a Young Girl for me....*ouch, ouch stop flogging me* because the ending was obvious.... so tears were una..."

Exactly.

message 20: by Thea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thea Hapa Hey! Im also like this when i read books. with post its everywhere (and Plastic jackets for all my books.. OCD much) especially the one with nice quotes or something. I only read EVERYDAY by Levithan, now im currently reading WIll grayson Will grayson. Probably ill ready this one! THanks!

Matthew I finally read this book and fell in love with it! I love the idea, the stories, and how universal and relatable it is. I've never been in a relationship and yet have experienced those feelings or can understand where the narrator is coming from! While some words are clearly identified that the couple is gay or straight I would 98% of the time you can't tell the difference and found it to be brilliant.

Naturally when I was reading it my thoughts would turn to a He and no where in the writing suggest that the lover is a male or female. I would say so far that this is his best book out of the other two I've read.

Great review and loved how you incorporated the words! I posted on Instagram the words that would impact me and incredibly it's only a few words. I love that this book is super short and great for those who want to read something quick or get out of a reading slump! Thank you for posting this lovely review and made me cherish this book even more!