Beth's Reviews > Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Nov 10, 2007

liked it

Bring on the teen fiction! I can’t get enough!! ThIs BoOk RuLz!1! (Okay, yeah ... maybe that's a little much.)

So, this isn’t exactly a masterpiece. But we knew that going in, didn’t we? Like I said, it’s teen fiction, and it wasn’t nominated for the Newbery or anything. Nevertheless, the premise is intriguing: a futuristic society, in which everyone has been created equal (in looks, anyway; at your sixteenth birthday, you’re given an operation which makes you extremely beautiful) and everyone’s brainwashed from a young age to believe that that’s the ideal. But there are a few rebels in the society that want out — and that’s when the trouble starts.

This book reminds me of The Giver by Lois Lowry — and I definitely like The Giver better — but this one’s still plenty interesting.

Warning: if you do get into the storyline, the story does not end at the conclusion of this book. There are two sequels, Pretties and Specials, and you might as well put your name on the hold list for them once you start Uglies; otherwise you’ll be left hangin’ in the middle of the action. Not like I know from experience or anything. ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.