Amanda's Reviews > Last Kiss

Last Kiss by Jessica Clare

bookshelves: assassin-mafia-hero, stoic-hero, action-packed, favourite-2015

Meet the surly Russian mafia and the germaphob American hacker

This might just be the best of the Hitman series yet. We've met Vasily Petrovich since the beginning of the series. He is some big shot in the Bratva and had allegiance with the two heroes, Nikolai and Daniel in the previous books. However, this can still work as a standalone, if you don't have the time to cover the grounds. In the previous book when Daniel was trying to save his sister, Naomi, only to have Vasily shipped her away instead.

Vasily, the brooding mafia wish to seize control the Petrovich Bratva after the assassination of their leader. The only thing standing in his way now is the missing Caravaggio painting. In order to track down the treasured artifact, Vasily had to gain the assistance from a renowned hacker, who turned out to be Naomi.

Naomi is one of a kind heroine, an Aspie hacker who is also a total germaphob. I've read a lot of books with Aspie's character, they usually make you feel pity and depressed, but Naomi just make you want to laugh at her quirks. I'm fascinated with the way her minds work.

"I think about all the fluids and horrible unclean things that come with sex.."

Vasily might no longer be a foot soldier, but he is still very much a deadly hitman when his skill is needed. I love getting a front row seat of all the violence that dish out by Vasily. Surprisingly, Naomi turned out to be his perfect sidekick.

"You saw me kill two men. This does not frighten you? Most women would be sobbing and weeping in a corner."
"I don't know those men. Should I be upset?"
"I am not sure if this makes you a sociopath or the perfect woman."

What makes this such as awesome read is that both Vasily and Naomi had their own quirks and they were so totally awkward in the beginning. The way Vasily mind works was as efficient and precise like clockwork. Get the job down, no attachment, kill everyone who stand in your way. At one point, I even suspect Vasily might be an Aspie himself. But I think he just happened to be raise that way, guarding his emotion to avoid being vulnerable.

"How many enemies do you have?"
"All that are not friends are my enemies."
"Okay, how many friends do you have?"
He is silent.
"I will be your friend, Vasily."

Vasily was not dealing well with his sudden budding desire for Naomi because he was usually not a sexual person. I've gotta say this is a first for me reading about a hero who downplay his own sexuality. The way he was so attuned to Naomi's quirk and needs is plain swoon worthy. He might be broody, stoic and had as much charisma as a block of ice, but his action speaks louder than words. They complement each other so well, like Bonnie and Clyde. I'm not condoning violence, but Naomi really is the best partner in crime to have.

How can you not root for this unlikely duo? When I started this book, I was skeptical with Vasily's mission all for a piece of oil and canvas, but with the romance, the violence, the action, the visit to fetish sex clubs and Daniel's cameo, it ended up being my best read of the series. Daniel's reaction to Naomi's detailed description of her sex life was priceless. I can't wait for the next book. I wonder who is the upcoming hero.

"Dig in your claws. Mark me with your teeth. Make me yours, Naomi."

"I love you, Nadya. I have lived a worthy life now that I have had the chance to love you."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Kiss.

March 27, 2014 – Shelved
May 8, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 10, 2015 – Shelved as: stoic-hero
May 10, 2015 – Shelved as: action-packed
May 10, 2015 – Shelved as: favourite-2015

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Pammy (new) - added it

Pammy Ohhh i know right :)

Amanda Pammy wrote: "Ohhh i know right :)"

I'm so excited for this XD

message 3: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I want to read this one! Enjoy Amanda!♥

Amanda Jen wrote: "I want to read this one! Enjoy Amanda!♥"

I'm at 50%! Is really good XD

Cristina Super :D I got it yesterday and I can't wait to start reading it. I really liked this series ;)

message 6: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Amanda wrote: "Jen wrote: "I want to read this one! Enjoy Amanda!♥"

I'm at 50%! Is really good XD"

Amanda Cristina wrote: "Super :D I got it yesterday and I can't wait to start reading it. I really liked this series ;)"

Enjoy, Christina. I love this series too.

Amanda Jen wrote: "Glad to hear it! I remember reading book one awhile back; and I really enjoyed it! I have bought all of the rest, I just haven' t read them yet! LOL "

u gotta make time, jen. this 3rd is by far the best XD

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Terrific review Amanda!

Amanda Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Terrific review Amanda!"

Thanks, Fei.

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» FAB review, Amanda! Glad you enjoyed this. :D xx

Amanda Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "FAB review, Amanda! Glad you enjoyed this. :D xx"

Thanks, Maida.

message 13: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy Great review love :-)

Amanda Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Great review love :-)"

Thanks, Stacey.

message 15: by Didi (new)

Didi Great review Amanda. I've read and enjoyed the first two in this series, glad you enjoyed this one.

Amanda Didi wrote: "Great review Amanda. I've read and enjoyed the first two in this series, glad you enjoyed this one."

Thanks. I think u gonna love this one too, Didi XD

Shanny Great review Amanda!

Lisa.T.H I was cackling at Daniel's reaction about her sex life.

Amanda Lisa.T.H wrote: "I was cackling at Daniel's reaction about her sex life."

Omg! You just remind me I'm due for a reread!