Mariah Roze's Reviews > The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

This was bad. I was confused the whole time and didn't know what was going on.
I didn't like it so much that I don't even want to rate it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Mango Street.

March 26, 2014 – Shelved
March 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 26, 2015 – Started Reading
November 1, 2015 –
0.0% "This book is interesting and very short!"
November 15, 2015 –
November 15, 2015 –
40.0% "I'm confused what is going on in this book."
November 19, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Louis The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros, is about Esperanza Cordero and her years growing up in the Latino section of Chicago, seen by some as the bad section of town. It is told through a lot of different little vignettes about Esperanza and the different people that she grows up with. It is a book about the strange beauties and the tough realities of life that are found in the least likely of places. It shows the hardships faced and the good times experienced.
The House on Mango Street is told in the voice of a young child with mature overtones. All the vignettes help to set the scene of Esperanza's life by showing all the different people who affected her in some way, told in their own little stories. When reading this book, it is easy to get confused, because none of the vignettes ever seem to tie together. There are just all these vignettes that have all different themes that never all connect, but eventually, the whole book does come together in the end with many themes. The main theme of the book is the way we see our home how it defines us.

Nicole The book was really bad, I didn’t understand it well. So i gave it three stars for effort.