Mark Uncommon Valor's Reviews > The Passion of Jesus Christ

The Passion of Jesus Christ by John Piper

M 50x66
Feb 11, 2010

bookshelves: jesus

Jesus called Satan a murder. " He was a murder from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth. . . he is a liar and the father of lies " ( John 8:44 ). But his main interest is not killing. It is damning. In fact, he much prefers his followers have long and happy lives - to mock suffering saints and hide the horrors of hell.

His power to damn human beings lies not in himself, but in the sins that he inspires and the lies that he tells. The only thing that damns anybody is unforgiven sin. Hexes, enchantments, voodoo, seances, curses, black magic, apparitions, voices - none of these cast a person into hell. They are the bells and whistles of the devil. The one lethal weapon he has is the power to decieve us. His chief lie is that self-exaltation is more to be desired than Christ exaltation, and sin preferable to righteousness. If that weapon could be taken out of his hand, he would no longer have the power of eternal death.

That is what Christ came to do - take that weapon out of Satans hand. To do this, Christ took our sins on Himself and suffered for them. When that happened, they could be used no more by the devil to destroy us. Taunt us ? Yes. Mock us ? Yes. But damn us ? No. Christ bore the curse in our place. Try as he will, Satan cannot destroy us. The wrath of God is removed. His mercy is our shield. And Satan cannot succeed against us.

John Piper

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passion of Jesus Christ.