Angie Lisle's Reviews > Dollbaby

Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal

This is southern-lit about a family in New Orleans, when a girl named Libby Bell is abandoned by her mother at her paternal grandmother's house in the 1960s and all the family secrets proceed to spill out of the closets.

I loved this book. Loved. The story has the magic of Alice Hoffman, Sarah Addison Allen, Rebecca Wells, and Mildred Taylor, all rolled up into one. I also thought about the older movie version of Steel Magnolias while I read this book - not because of similar plot-lines or characters, but because of the way the story feels as it's being told. I think another reason this story made me think of Steel Magnolias so much is because I would love to see this book become a movie.

I'm so glad I received a free advanced copy of this book from GoodReads First Reads in exchange for a review. I had allotted four days to read this book (reading a quarter of the book per day) but I was so into the story that I carried the book around with me and read whenever I found a spare minute. I finished the book in three days. I look forward to reading future works from Laura Lane McNeal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dollbaby.

March 26, 2014 – Shelved
March 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2014 – Started Reading
April 21, 2014 –
page 132
39.17% "Loving this book - think Sarah Addison Allen and Mildred Taylor, this is their love-child."
April 22, 2014 –
page 223
66.17% "Still enjoying."
April 23, 2014 –
page 252
74.78% "This book is good, y'all. I predict a five-star rating."
April 23, 2014 –
page 308
91.39% "I'm nearing the end of the book and it's making me sad. I'm definitely keeping track of this author."
April 24, 2014 –
page 351
100% "Love, love, love - reminded me a lot of the old movie version of Steel Magnolias."
April 24, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Laura Lane McNeal Angie:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your wonderful comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the novel!

message 2: by Viking (new)

Viking Books We love your comments as you progressed through the book! Happy to see that you enjoyed it.

Angie Lisle Laura wrote: "Angie:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your wonderful comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the novel!"

You're welcome. Thank you for writing a fantastic book to slip into for a little while. This book hasn't hit shelves yet and I'm ready for the next one!

Angie Lisle Viking wrote: "We love your comments as you progressed through the book! Happy to see that you enjoyed it."

Thank you for selecting me in the giveaway! My comments are how I remember what I'm thinking; I'm glad you enjoyed them!