Felicia's Reviews > Words of Radiance

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: epic-fantasy

I mean, Sanderson always puts the word "Epic" in "Epic Fantasy" and at over 750 pages...this is EPIC.

I LOVED the last book, I loved this one as well. If you like Sanderson you'll love it, if you don't...well, this is definitely Sanderson! The same amazing characters continue from the last book, some Game of Thrones-type twists that are shocking as well, and as always, the lore and magic system RULE. Shallan continues to be an amazing character, and the growth of her abilities go into HELLA cool territory.

One thing: There's something vaguely disquieting about the class system and weird racism in this book, with the "light-eyes" and the Parshmen, that I can't put my finger on, anyone else feel that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Words of Radiance.

March 25, 2014 – Started Reading
March 25, 2014 – Shelved
April 15, 2014 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
April 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Neil Tavares How is this do far? In just looking into getting some of his stuff and I don't know all that much.

Ashley Yeah, it's disquieting but I think it's supposed to be. They make a point of (view spoiler). And the feeling I got from it this go-round is that it's something that will be dealt with as an ongoing concern in the story.

Felicia Neil wrote: "How is this do far? In just looking into getting some of his stuff and I don't know all that much."
I would start with his Mistborn series, it's a great entry point and AMAZING!

Shannon The Mistborn series is great! I also recommend Warbreaker for new Sanderson fans. As for the class system, I think that's going to be dealt with. I see signs of the class system beginning to crumble in this book (think England circa WWI).

Neil Tavares I got the first in the mistborn as well as the alloy I law. Right after I'm done John Carpenter of Mars I will give them a go. Thanks guys!

message 6: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Neil, Alloy of Law is Mistborn #4. My first Sanderson was Warbreaker and then I moved into Mistborn and Elantris. I have loved them all and Sanderson has become one of my favorite authors.

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton Haven't got to this yet. Excited for this one!

Jasmine M you know racism is everywhere and cannot be denied even in our world, what bothered me more in these books is the sexism, I mean, women are not allowed to eat spicy food, cause it's not feminine??!! and that's just the tip of the iceberg of the sexism going on in those books. but I know Sanderson, I've read almost every book he published,and I know for a fact he's not sexist, if anything , he'd written some of the best female characters I've ever read. so I know something spectacular is coming out of this spectacular series, I just hope he won't keep us waiting too long.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike never read Sanderson, what was his first book Felicia?

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Berryman I just finished the Mistborn series, and it was just amazing balls. I'm glad to hear his other stuff is good too. I'll need to pick this one up.

Folke The 'ism we are talking about here is Vorinism, an ambivalent and outdated religious/philosophical system putting the sexes and the different people (dark- & lighteyed) in their places.
It's an integral part of the books and it places not only women in specific roles but men as well. The conflicts it creates are first shown when we are being introduced to Kaladin in the first book.
I totally agree with Jasmine (msg 8), that Sanderson is neither sexist and I don't think he is racist as well. There will definitely be something spectacular coming that will break down this concept of society (hell - there are Radiants about again!!!).
Always consider that B.S. created two totally amazing female protagonists namely Jasnah and Shallan (my favorite characters - and I'm male) and that while Jasnah is a heretic for being contrary to (many party of) Vorinism, Shallan is still very much adhering to it! So she still has to learn something, too and even Kaladin has to adjust - or he'll never get Shallan ;-)

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela One of my favorite authors! Can't wait to read this. You just get cooler and cooler! :) I do miss The Flog...but I love seeing you cameo in other shows! Happy reading!

Daniel Wolf I think the class and racism and sexism that is established is all intentional. Sanderson seems to delight in shattering systems and reshaping them in the aftermath. The first three mistborns, elantris and now this.

Heather I just finished the book and loved it! I agree with the others that Sanderson has something to reveal regarding the lighteyes/darkeyes/parshmen class system that will be important to the storyline. He seems to be revealing aspects of the world and magic systems in each book. I think he will eventually turn the class system on its head.

message 15: by Latriese Athill (new)

Latriese Athill Oh and this book was amazing

message 16: by Wilsun (new)

Wilsun Omg a actress I always wanted to be one

message 17: by Olivier (new)

Olivier Combe Book 2 / 10.. I think I'm gonna wait, I hate having to stop in the middle of a serie

Stephen I think the other comments echo my thoughts about the class system. Regarding the parshmen though, I think their main purpose is to play the Trojan horse rather than convey something about the class system. I thought Rlain's character turned out pretty interesting, and am intrigued to see if he plays a larger part down the line.

Lupeoples039 Did you notice any similarities between kaladin and kelsier? I kept picturing kaladin exactly how I pictured kelsier...is that weird?

MATTHEW AYEMOBA "Epic" review! I loved it so much. You are totally different from all the others. You are talented at writing. I loved your review.

MATTHEW AYEMOBA Totally love the review.

message 22: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Goldie If you look at most of Sanderson's books (even Elantris) there is always either a class or race that is subjugated or lesser, sometimes due to their own actions, sometimes due to losing an epic battle, sometimes merely for being different. I think it's part of his storytelling and the message behind it. But it's the storytelling that drags you in , even if there are reoccurring themes. :)

message 23: by Naz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Naz (Read Diverse Books) Society has always been built class systems. I love the silly, but cool idea of light eyes ruling, and it really isn't that controversial. The Alethi are basically brown people and they can have either light or dark eyes. Also, anyone who comes upon a shard item will gain light eyes, so I don't think it's meant to be racist.

Justin  hight Hey red Valkyrie, you messed up and accidentally hit four stars instead of five.

Rebecca Dibbs I think the racist parts that really bothered me was how the climax played out. The consequences of this moving forward can only one group into cardboard cutout evil dark people, which is a bridge too far for me to read.

message 26: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Kirksey The racism and sexism are off putting but I think that's the point. I don't believe that BS is trying to convey a desire for the world to work this way; I think the reader is supposed to see how illogical all of it is, and the book will slowly progress to where society will evolve past these things, similar to how things have gone (for the most part) in the real world.

The thing I'm most confused about is the fact that Shallan is apparently swooning over Kaladin even though he's mostly conveyed fierce racism and hatred against her because of her eye color, seems like a bit of a head scratcher that she isn't bothered by that just because he's tall, handsome, and brooding.

Justin  hight Kris wrote: "The racism and sexism are off putting but I think that's the point. I don't believe that BS is trying to convey a desire for the world to work this way; I think the reader is supposed to see how il..."

I agree with your assessment. Also,she may be attracted to him because she sees that there is more to him. Plus,some women will like a jerk just because he is handsome and some men will like a woman who is a jerk because she's pretty. But I think it's more because shallan sees something Nobel about him.

Amanda Shields Clearly, I'm a little late to the game since you wrote this review in 2014, but I just finished Words of Radiance and I completely agree. I loved everything about this book. And you're right, the classism/racism is most certainly there and I think it's there to make you feel that way and to make you see the parallels in our own society.