Donna's Reviews > Flirt

Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton

did not like it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, library

Flirt makes it obvious that Hamilton has paid at least some attention to the criticism of this series. But considering that it took me a whole hour to read, this novella (terribly short for the price) is too little and probably too late.

Anita's long-neglected career as an animator makes another appearance, and she actually has an adventure that doesn't star half of her boyfriends. Of course that whole "Anita standing on her own" thing was completely undermined by her predictable strategy for dealing with the new men that show up.

The author's habit of using a couple of words over and over and over is in full force here. I'd suggest that the book needed more editing, but without the repetitive musings and relationship wankery, Flirt would have ended up as a short story.

There's a preface and an afterword, both have a condescending tone and read like a self-indulgent attempt to boost the page count. Readers are told an account of Hamilton and friends making a waiter uncomfortable, which supposedly inspired this book and is fictionalized in one of its scenes. Oh, and there's also a comic strip that someone else drew about the exact same incident, which is supposed to make some kind of point about how two creative types use everyday events differently. I'm sure that the whole gang found it just hilarious to screw around with their server, but honestly, the story comes off a bit sad.

It's like why you never try to explain an inside joke, nobody else gives a shit.

I almost went up to two stars because we finally got more animator action, but between the afterword and yet another addition to Anita's stable I just couldn't do it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirt.

February 10, 2010 – Started Reading
February 10, 2010 – Finished Reading
February 11, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Scott The server was probably just pretending to be hot and bothered to get a bigger tip.