Vanessa Grant's Reviews > Stalking Season

Stalking Season by Maryann Miller

Mar 25, 2014

bookshelves: mystery

Detective Sarah Kingsly's new partnership with Angel Johnson certainly isn't a match made in heaven, but the two homicide cops have no choice but to work together when the corpse of a young girl from an upper-class family is found in a sleazy motel. Sarah and Angel have just begun investigating when the killer strikes again, and the two women struggle with their own differences, trying to find a balance of trust for each other and nail the killer before someone else dies.

I read Maryann Miller's "Stalking Season" knowing it was the second book in a series, and wondering if I should read book one first. I needn't have worried, Stalking Season caught my interest from the first page. I loved the complex realism of the personal and family issues facing Angel, and Sarah's determination to come to terms with a past she can't change and a partner she doesn't understand.

High stakes, a difficult partnership, and a fight for justice - Stalking Season is an intriguing mystery with a satisfying conclusion, and a crime-fighting pair who achieve a realistic blend of conflict and mutual respect that should keep the series going. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Vanessa

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking Season.

Started Reading
March 25, 2014 – Shelved
March 25, 2014 – Shelved as: mystery
March 25, 2014 – Finished Reading

Maryann Vanessa,
Thank you so much for the review. I am so glad you found do much to enjoy about the characters and the story. When writing Stalking Season, I did strive to make sure it was complete enough that a reader would not have to worry if they should read the first book in the series first. Like most episodic television shows with ensemble casts, there will continue to be a stand-alone mystery in each installment of the Seasons Series, but threads of personal sub-plots will be pulled through from story to story. Working on this series have given me new respect for authors who have done this so well before me. Knowing just how many threads to keep weaving without becoming too repetitious is sometimes a challenge.

Vanessa Grant While I was enjoying reading Stalking Season, the "writer" in me was also making note of the story threads that were tied up in the single mystery, and the ones with potential for further development in following books. I'm currently working on the first book in a mystery series so it's very interesting to me seeing how another author has handled the balance between needing the book to stand alone with a complete mystery, and developing interest in the ongoing series.

You've done a good job :)
Vanessa

Maryann LOL, Vanessa. I find that I read that way, too, always trying to learn from another writer, and I have learned a lot. My interest in police procedurals started a long time ago when I read the 87th Precint series by Ed McBain. I retread a couple of his books when I started developing the ideas for a police procedural series to see how he worked with an ensemble cast. Then I realized it was so close to the way episodic television shows are done. Guess we can learn from a lot of sources.

Vanessa Grant Your comment about episodic TV shows makes sense. When I was immersing myself in reading about the Hero's Journey, just after Christopher Vogler's first edition of "The Writer's Journey" came out, I learned a lot from good movies - sometimes it's easier to see the elements of both structure and hero's journey in the higher contrast medium of film.

But interestingly, in contemplating series mysteries as a genre, I hadn't made a real focus on TV mystery series - amazing, really, because I love them and watch a lot. Thanks for sharing that, because now I'm goig to go back to some of my favorite TV mystery series and take a look at what really worked for me in the ones I love - and what didn't in the ones I can't get into. I'm sure I'll find the same elements as in the books, but again, it's more sharply drawn in film.

I agree, we learn from a lot of sources.