Julie Davis's Reviews > C. S. Lewis Bible: New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

C. S. Lewis Bible by C.S. Lewis

Mar 19, 16

Read on March 25, 2014

I've never understood the enthusiasm for study Bibles on a single theme or with a single person's commentary. Obviously, they are popular because you can see them everywhere. When this Bible came to my attention, I blanched.

However, it seems as if 2014 is fast becoming my "year of C.S. Lewis" as I work my way through his books in audio format. So I took a closer look on Amazon where I found Brandon Vogt's review, which I encourage you to read. I trust Brandon's judgment a lot from having read his blog. His thoughtful comments also showed that he, too, was leery of this sort of study bible. He pointed out that, with care, one can view such a work as having midrash available on scripture and that opened up another way to consider it.

I'm not crazy about the NRSV translation but that is a matter of personal taste admittedly. Catholics will note that this is a Protestant Bible and so has fewer books than a Catholic Bible would. The committee who put this together does seem to have done an impressive job of carefully matching Lewis's comments in the appropriate spot without overdoing it. It is definitely a Bible first and foremost, with occasional C.S. Lewis comments from a wide variety of sources. It quickly became a favorite morning read.

I do want to mention that except for the cover, this book is a work of beauty. The typesetting, format, and overall look are gorgeous. The cover ... well, you can see that for yourself. Nothing can make it anything except ugly. But once the cover is opened, the interior is beautiful. This is the book that proves the old adage. Don't judge this book by its cover.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read C. S. Lewis Bible.

03/25/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/25/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Ooo! Something to be on the look out for.

Julie Davis Jenn wrote: "Ooo! Something to be on the look out for.
Can I recommend Ronald Knox to add to your CS Lewis reading? He is what I like to call Lewis for Catholics. Not that there is anything wrong with Lewis. :)"

Definitely. Give me a specific book though. I've tried samples of his work and, aside from the mysteries, nothing has really struck me. So help a sistah out! :-D

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Well I really enjoyed "A retreat for Lay people", "In Soft Garments" and "A Window in the Wall". But I think the last one is out of print. My friend just gave me "What catholics Believe". I cannot wait to crack it.

I would suggest In Soft Garments as it is sermons given at Oxford so you can jump around and are not forced to read cover to cover.

Julie Davis Sounds good ... I'll look for it! Thank you!