Mira's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult

A solid good YA story.

Cinder is a story with a sci-fi background set in New Beijing. It’s a modern take on the classic Cinderella story with many twists and turns. There is the evil step mother, some step sisters and of course a prince. However it also has its mix of humans, androids, cyborgs and aliens (i.e., Lunars) to add to the fray. This story adds in disease, death and political upheaval to give depth to the classic mistreated and undervalued second class citizen Cinderella. It doesn’t follow that particular Disney story line and it makes it fun when you read a little sprinkle here and there (orange car = pumpkin?).

I liked this book and I wanted to love it, but what fell short for me, was it dragged in the beginning and the background of the story fell short, I was happy the pace picked up mid way and it ended strong. The description of New Beijing basically could have been anywhere and I just wanted more there; the Lunar side was well described and pulls you in. Some of the characters were not very rich, prime example Prince Kai. He gets more depth at the end of the story but by then it’s a little late. I don’t care. Cinder is better off without you – is that part of the retelling and new story? Kinda hope so, that or man up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

Quotes Mira Liked

Marissa Meyer
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

Marissa Meyer
“But if there was one thing she knew from years as a mechanic, it was that some stains never came out.”
Marissa Meyer, Cinder

Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Marissa Meyer
“She briefly wished she did have some sort of magic so she could shoot a bolt of lightning through his head.”

Marissa Meyer
“Right,' said Kai, 'that'll be no problem in a city of two and a half million people. Let me just go dig out my special Lunar detector, and I'll get right on that.”

March 24, 2014 – Started Reading