Christy B's Reviews > Prima Donna

Prima Donna by Megan Chance

1204629
Feb 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-have-won, fiction, historical-fiction, neo-victorian
Read from June 15 to 19, 2010

Sabine Conrad is on top of the world. She finds herself as one of the most popular sopranos in the country, until a shocking murder brings it all crashing down.

The story is shown through Sabine's journal entries documenting her rise to fame during the 1870s. The other parts take place in 1881 Seattle, four years after the murder, where she has assumed a different identity.

The journal entries were sometimes excruciating. I knew that she was young and everything, but good grief! She was dumb as a bag of rocks. Speaking of rocks, it seemed like all she needed was for someone to buy her a nice piece of sparkley jewelry after a fight and all was forgiven.

I did enjoy the scenes in Seattle and the inner turmoil that was going through Sabine's head as she started to get close to people, but had to lie to them to protect her past. However, despite her best efforts, she soon finds herself face-to-face with the demons she tried to keep hidden and her life is once again turned upside down.

I also enjoyed all the opera talk. I just love opera and it was one of the things that attracted me to this book.

Overall, I did enjoy Prima Donna. I wasn't blown away by it and there were some excruciating parts, like I said. Also, the ending was wrapped up just a little too neatly, like it felt a bit rushed, but it was a pretty good read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prima Donna.

06/15 page 68
05/30 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I am interested in reading your review of this one. I've read The Spiritualist by this same author and remember liking it. It's been awhile since I've read it, though.