Joje's Reviews > Clapton: The Autobiography

Feb 10, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: no-go
Read in February, 2010

It may get better but I cannot get through the repetitions, even in single paragraphs. Maybe another day, but there's so much else out there to read, and I'd rather listen to the Blues than to this sort of adjectival name-draping. It was page after page of lines like "listening to him had an effect on me similar to what I might feel if I were to meet an alien from outer space. It simply blew my mind...solo in the middle of it that took my breath away. It was like listening to....that gave me the shivers. It was abolutely earth-shattering for me, like a new light for me to move toward..." All this in 7 lines of large text. And not the worst example. One says to oneself over and over, but this is Clapton, he can't write and sing, or maybe says ''It's okay, it's nearly midnight and I'm half asleep what do I care if the style is dull or repetitive'', but after a while, no, can't keep going. There's so much better to read. If it gets better on that score, too, I'll have to be given a page number and start there. So much for learning juicy secrets in half way acceptable prose. I quit. I've even lost my page marker, but can't find where I stopped, because it all reads so similarly in the first 50 pages. Ah well. Um, well, good lists of names, at least.
It was pointed out to me that this was transcribed--apparently faithfully--from tapes of his talking about it all, which amply explains the style I complain of. The problem is that one has to read to the end--or look there in advance--to find this out. It would not have changed my reaction either, just let me know not to bother and quit at an earlier stage. I'd have excused the repetitions as perfectly normal and not have started the book, that's all, for the same reason as earlier. And maybe not got as irritated along the way. It by no means changes my opinion of the man or his art, and didn't in the first instance. To be honest, it wasn't a lot worse than some people's writing when they think it's good style, and I try to avoid them, too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clapton.