Jess's Reviews > Doubleblind

Doubleblind by Ann Aguirre

bookshelves: 2010, sci-fi

OH!!!! Superb! I thought I was going to be a little bored with this because Sirantha acts as an ambassador, and there's a lot of political talk and cultural discussions but I found it to be fascinating. Aguirre created an entire people with all of these customs, and made it so believable. I found Sirantha to be so vulnerable in this book, in the others she was strong and impulsive but she was so sad here. All she wanted was to help create peace, and to ensure that a huge, destructive war wouldn't take place. But she also had so many personal issues to contend with. In the beginning I was heartbroken with her involving the March situation. And I've come to love Vel even more, especially with this book. He's her best friend, and I think he might be my favorite character in this series. I have a few choice words for one particular character in this book, and only hope that this stupid idiot of a character never shows up again!!! Hope he is tortured relentlessly. Evil schmuck. Anyway.

I don't want to wait for the next book to come out... I want to know what happens next, and I want to know right this minute lol!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doubleblind.

February 10, 2010 – Shelved
February 16, 2010 – Started Reading
February 16, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
February 16, 2010 – Shelved as: sci-fi
February 16, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

The Flooze Wheeee!! You loved it as much as I did!

She manages to make all of it so fascinating despite the fact that every interaction is so painfully cautious, doesn't she?

I loved the journal entries. Wasn't Mair's voice haunting?

And Vel. Oh, Vel. I knew you'd adore him. (If you didn't, we'd have to fight.) He's such a superb character! He's so honest and clever and caring and loyal. He's amazing.

Did you read the short from his POV on the website?

The Flooze I was cracking up at your crush in the last book. That's why I said just you wait. He's probably going to pop up again, but how satisfying was it to see him dropped in the bowels of nowhere? I loved it.

I am so excited for the next one.

Jess I loved Vel... I didn't like Jael in the last one, I liked Vel, I might have written that wrong. Yes I was glad about what happened to him. Stupid bastard. lol.

I didn't read the POV on the website, I have to go read that.

I have a feeling that tat was somewhat important. When Jax was listening in she overheard a few bugs saying something about whether she accepted the mating. I think it was definitely something more than Vel told her lol.

Jess I just read the short. AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

The Flooze I know!! Don't you love him even more now? As if we didn't love him enough as it was?

Who knew we could be so wild about a praying mantis? Lol.

NOW...do you remember in book one, when Sirantha went to say goodbye to Adele? Adele tells "Saul" she thinks she'll be seeing him again. She knew who he was somehow!

::sniffle::

I wuv him.

Oopsie on the Jael thang!

Darcy I haven't read the short yet. I will have to go soon, you guys make it sound really good.

The Flooze Gosh darn it! Go! Read!

There's a March one as well which fills in some blanks. The Vel story really got to me though.

Jess I don't want to wait for the new one to come out :(

The Flooze Jess wrote: "I don't want to wait for the new one to come out :("

I know!

It's not that long though.

::tapping fingers::

Annnnnyyyyy minute now.

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess My library better get the book asap.. or I will be upset. lol. Then I'll end up buying it. and as a result of that, will then have to buy the previous three, and then I'll go broke haha.

The Flooze Lol. Well...if you have to go broke, it's a good series to do it for!

She has another sci-fi/fantasy novel on her website for free. It's unrelated, but I wonder how it is. I'll have to try it at some point.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre I never comment like this, but when I see this much Vel-love, it draws me out. I must admit, I, too, was surprised at how popular he's become (and how much I love him myself). So, this...

"I got the impression the tat is actually part of a partnership/marriage ceremony and she never puts it together. Thoughts?"

Yes. It's a statement that she accepts his colors as part of herself, formalizing a bond between them. In Ithtorian terms, it would be a dynastic partnership. Between Jax and Vel, it means something else, but he's never told her precisely what. Their relationship is...complicated, and will become moreso as the series goes on.

message 13: by The Flooze (last edited Apr 01, 2010 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Flooze Ann wrote: "I never comment like this, but when I see this much Vel-love, it draws me out. I must admit, I, too, was surprised at how popular he's become (and how much I love him myself). So, this...

"I got t..."

::fangirl squee moment::

Oh, there is so much Vel-love. He inspires both smiles and sniffles. I was talking with another GR friend and we were just wondering if you'd anticipated the gushing and (for me) crushing. That answers that! Ga-ga over a praying mantis--who would've thunk it?

Thanks for the Jax/Vel insight. I love both the complexity and the simplicity of their relationship. The simplicity being the wonderful acceptance they share despite their many differences.

More complicated, you say? Can't wait to read it!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre Good lord, no. I never imagined so many people --myself included!-- would come to love a giant praying mantis so much, even one who can pass for human when he needs to. But I really do adore him.

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess My library still doesn't have the newest book! I'm waiting, not very patiently.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre Doubleblind is the newest Jax. Killbox comes out Aug 31. If you mean my 2nd Corine novel, Hell Fire, that comes out officially April 6, so maybe that's why the library doesn't have it yet?

The Flooze Ann wrote: "Good lord, no. I never imagined so many people --myself included!-- would come to love a giant praying mantis so much, even one who can pass for human when he needs to. But I really do adore him."

I both love and hate (in a good way) that you don't have qualms about offing characters. It makes me fear Killbox oh so much.

::biting nails::

::silently praying that Vel stays alive::

But that's part of the fun!

message 18: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Ann wrote: "Doubleblind is the newest Jax. Killbox comes out Aug 31. If you mean my 2nd Corine novel, Hell Fire, that comes out officially April 6, so maybe that's why the library doesn't have it yet?"

I could have sworn I saw the release date as being this month... Must have been wishful thinking!!!!

I will now patiently (yeah right) wait for Killbox in Aug. ::sigh::

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: "Ann wrote: "Good lord, no. I never imagined so many people --myself included!-- would come to love a giant praying mantis so much, even one who can pass for human when he needs to. But I really do ..."

The Flooze Jess wrote: "Vel can't die... because that just wouldn't be fair. Now I'm praying right along with you!!..."

It is war after all...

Eeek!

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: "Jess wrote: "Vel can't die... because that just wouldn't be fair. Now I'm praying right along with you!!..."

It is war after all...

Eeek!"

But... he's Vel! :(

The Flooze Well of course I share that sentiment.