Michael's Reviews > Mister B. Gone

Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Nov 09, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: horror

A Barker lagniappe for the holidays. Somewhat interesting, but not particularly deep. The author doesn't break any new ground unless you count the prettiness of the book itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister B. Gone.

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Technically I haven't cracked it yet except to admire the fakey aging technique... but I'll keep you posted!

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Oh, I can recommend Barker, but maybe not this one. Abarat and Galilee are good.

message 3: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael The best thing about Galilee is that it's less lurid than his earlier novels. The luridness just got old after a while. (that's why I really enjoyed the Abarat books - he wrote them for his daughter, and painted all of the illustrations himself)

message 4: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Tracy, this book is a lagniappe of a story so far (halfway in). It's not classic Barker but it's enjoyable.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Isn't that French? I don't really know French, but it IS a great word!

message 6: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Tosh ...Clive Barker has a daughter?

message 7: by Emanuel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Emanuel I like Abarat, it's the only book by Barker that i have read.

And, to answer Tosh's question:

Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Ruby (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. He studied English and philosophy at Liverpool University. Barker, who is openly gay, lives in Los Angeles, California with his partner of 17 years, photographer David Armstrong and Armstrong's daughter Nicole from a previous relationship.

~e

message 8: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Tosh I didn't know that! Baker is a great person. I know him via my work at the bookstore, and he's great. Very charming.