Isa Lavinia's Reviews > The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster

The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster by Meljean Brook

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, adult, adventure, romance, steampunk, short-story

ARC provided by InterMix through Netgalley

Whenever steampunk comes up I think "Meljean Brook". I don't even know if she was the first author I've read of the genre, but she is hands-down the best.

I thought I'd read all Iron Seas' books - so when I started this book, which features Zenobia Fox, Archimedes Fox's sister, I was like... "what."

Can you believe I spent ages lusting after Heart of Steel, bought the ebook, and then forgot about it and convinced myself I had been waiting for Riveted (which is the 3rd book! THIRD! in the series!)?!

My stupidity, thankfully, did not hinder the reading of The Kraken King Part 1: The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster (which is a title that's too long, and quite frankly too awesome to write every time), which can be read without any knowledge of the rest of the Iron Seas' series.

Meljean Brook has a super helpful guide about the world she created, anyway, in case of any confusion. Including a map which contains the best copyright notice I've ever read:

(c) Meljean Brook
Do not reproduce this map, please.
It's too ugly.

The story starts with Zenobia, travelling to Australia under the assumed name Geraldine Inkslinger, with her friend Helene.
Their ship is attacked and they are rescued by Ariq, the Kraken King, one of the most powerful men in the Horde rebellion.

Things start off well between Zenobia and Ariq - it's not insta-love, but it's insta-lust, and if there is one thing Brook writes well... it's lust. In just a few lines during their first meeting she has me hoping they'll be together forever.
But, of course, misunderstandings arise soon enough...

This is only Part 1, so it's much too short, ending right when I was completely hooked.

And to think I'll have to wait until April 22 to read Part 2!
I don't know how I'm going to wait... well, by finally reading Heart of Steel, for one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster.

March 24, 2014 – Started Reading
March 28, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
March 28, 2014 – Shelved as: steampunk
March 28, 2014 – Shelved as: short-story
March 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Negine I cannot wait to read this! Great little review, Isa.

message 2: by Isa (last edited Mar 28, 2014 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia Thank you!
But it's so short and stopped right when I was hoping for... something! You know how Meljean Brook's books are!

You're going to love it, I'm sure ;)

Negine I know! Even though I have mentally prepared myself for the serial format of this one it's still going to be absolute torture waiting for each installment.

message 4: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia I considered waiting until they were all out and then reading them all in one go. (Though, now that I think of it, it would probably not be good, sales-wise, for the author...)

But I already read this one... so I really need the 2nd one!

Negine That's what I usually do with serials but not this time. Because it's Meljean Brook! Plus, as you say, I want to boost her sales. :)