Althea Ann's Reviews > The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster

The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster by Meljean Brook

liked it

Steampunk romance, hmmmmm?

Well, it was free, it was a 'teaser' and I thought I'd give it a try, since the author has some good reviews.

Overall: I liked it! It's not just romance; there's some good action going on here.

Geraldine and Helene are traveling via airship to reunite with Helene's husband. Geraldine is incognito - she doesn't want anyone to know she's the popular adventure author Zenobia Fox - OR who her secret-agent brother is. After all, she's been kidnapped multiple times before. (I assume there are prequels to this story).

However, the airship comes under attack and they have to bail out. Luckily, they're rescued by a super-hot Asian warlord, Ariq.

Ariq and Zenobia's meeting-scene was actually pretty hot. Good job.

However, the way the romance began to progress was a bit too typical/conventional. The bad-ass, outside-the-law guy cared a bit too much whether Zenobia was married or not. And the whole 'misunderstandings caused by lack of communication' thing felt... done before.

This is not a complete story, so there's no resolution (or any sex scenes), but since this was a teaser, I wasn't really expecting either.

I'd read more by the author...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster.

March 24, 2014 – Shelved