Jon Boorstin's Reviews > Towards a New Architecture

Towards a New Architecture by Le Corbusier

bookshelves: how-to-think-and-live

When I was in architecture school in England, Corb, as we called him, was the master (and Alvar Aalto the disciple). He stated the case for modern architecture so convincingly that it seemed the only possible altenative. In his hands, it was beautiful and practical, and also economical. He had a zen spareness about his work, and a sculptural gift. His drawings and his furniture are exciting, without being gaudy. Quite the opposite. He exemplified Less is More. And he taught me, and a generation of architecture students, 'the discipline of the route.' Buildings, as he taught us, are not experienced whole, but as a series of experiences. Orchestrating those, and making sure that the visitor is always oriented to the whole, is the basic given of good architecture, like writing a grammatical sentence is a given for a good writer. Unfortunately, this is often forgotten today.

This book is his concise statement of his philosophy. Most architecture since then either follows its dictates or rebels against them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towards a New Architecture.

Finished Reading
March 23, 2014 – Shelved
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: how-to-think-and-live

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish Where did I see the concept of architecture as "music made flesh"? Anyway, it's a great visual.

message 2: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Boorstin Yes, that's good. Afraid I can't tell you the source. It sounds like Gaudi, doesn't it? Or Frank Gehry. Have you seen his Walt Disney Concert Hall? That is music made flesh.