Maria Grazia's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

bookshelves: modern-romance, read-in-2014, ya, romance

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves, that we are underlings". Probably John Green had this line from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in his mind while trying to give his beatiful love story a proper title. But more probably, more than Julius Caesar, he had Romeo and Juliet in mind (... A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life/ Whose misadventured piteous overthrows / Doth with their death... ) , while writing the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters. Shakespearean influences apart, the author was really inspired while depicting his two young protagonists with black letters on white pages: they are two of the loveliest, liveliest teenage characters I've ever encountered.

The Fault in Our Stars (book cover): Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

What I love of this book is its being entertaining and bold, even irreverent, more than what most of us would expect from such a story, that is to say, melodramatic. The tone Green's uses is so blunt, it becomes harsh, raw at times.

Difficult to deal with so much pain with lightness, but if Hazel, Augustus their friends and families can - thanks to the author's choices - you realize you can do that too. And you are grateful in the end, both for your tears and fits of laughter, for all the beautiful moments and words, and you feel you want to go back in search for more.

(This review is part of my post: Summer readings: The Fault in Our Stars & other love stories http://flyhigh-by-learnonline.blogspo...)
1 like · flag