B.A. Wilson's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

24206425

bookshelves: abc-challenge, ya, romance, name-in-title

I read this book all the way through in a day (on accident...Okay, on purpose). I was in the middle of reading a different book, but a surprise tornado siren had me cowering in the bathtub with my dog and my Kindle. Once I started this delightful story, there was no stopping, not even to get an acceptable amount of sleep before a work day. It pulled me in immediately, and I couldn't stand to walk away from it.

I believed I would like the book, because the author is excellent. I loved Anna and the French Kiss. However, I did not think that I would love this as much as I loved Anna and Etienne's story. I was wrong, yet again. (I love that. I wish every author would prove me wrong in some way). These characters are so delightfully different and quirky. They're well-developed, and I just fell in love with all of them, including Lola's dads.

Cricket is a delightfully awkward bundle of nerves, energy, and hormones, and I love how gradually the story grows. I also love his pants, his interest in the mechanics of things, his self-doubt, and his shy attempts to put himself out there. Lola's is equally quirky and lovable, but not without flaws. I love how the characters make mistakes and then try to learn and grow from them.

My favorite part is that I often start to feel like all romance novels blend together or become too much the same, but everything about this felt fresh. Stephanie Perkins makes me want to believe in love and happy endings. She's making my inner-romantic surface from deep beneath my realistic side which had squashed it down, apparently not permanently.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

March 22, 2014 – Shelved
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2014 – Started Reading
March 27, 2014 –
12.0% "I wasn't supposed to start yet, but we had a Tornado siren. I read on my Kindle while huddled in the bath tub with the dog. LOL. It's already really good! :)"
March 28, 2014 –
91.0% "I adore this author and these books. They remind me how sweet and satisfying it is (despite all the accompanying mess) to fall in love."
March 28, 2014 – Finished Reading