Liza Wiemer's Reviews > When Audrey Met Alice

When Audrey Met Alice by Rebecca Behrens

3152001

bookshelves: real-book-challenge

I don't read that many MG novels, but I was totally captivated by When Audrey Met Alice, a story about a first daughter Audrey Rose discovering Alice Roosevelt's diary in one of the closets in the White House. As Audrey tries to adjust to her own life as first daughter, Alice through her diary becomes Audrey's guide. I love how Behrens uses historical information in this novel and mixed it with a modern story. I was transported to the White House and Audrey's school. I got a very strong sense on how difficult life was for her living in the White House, always under a microscope and not seeing her parents much (her mom is president).

Going back to the history, I loved learning about what it would have been like for a first daughter in the early 1900s: fashion, trips, friendships, social pressures.

The description of the White House was very cool with the gardens, the bowling alley, the movie theater, the dining rooms, and bedrooms.

Audrey is a very likable character who I believe many MG students will adore. There's a good balance between history and present day, and I loved the use of a diary to share the information and how Alice ended every diary entry with: To Thine Own Self Be True. It's a great message.

A winner, WHEN AUDREY MET ALICE is a must for MGers, schools, libraries.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Audrey Met Alice.

Started Reading