Clare's Reviews > Thirsty

Thirsty by Tracey Bateman

Feb 09, 2010

Read in February, 2010

When I first started this "vampire" book, I had no idea that it would encompass God and redemption. I had read the four books in the Twilight series and thought that author Tracey Bateman had merely jumped on board the vampire train and written another book in that genre.

Thirsty is much more than a vampire book. It talks about the pains of addiction and family secrets. It explores the issues of free will vs. determinism. Are we free to make choices about behavior or are we destined to succumb to temptation?

Bateman cleverly explores the issues of mother/daughter relationships in a way that is both realistic and engrossing. Will Nina be able to repair her relationship with her daughter? Will Nina's daughter be able to forgive her mother for being an alcoholic?

Running parallel to Nina's story is the stuggle of Marcus, a vampire with an obsession. He like Nina is "thirsty" for the forbidden. Is his struggle similar to Nina's or are they completely different?

If you enjoy a riveting tale that explores compulsive behavior both in real life and in the supernatural world, Thirsty is a great read.

I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirsty.