Julie's Reviews > Mind Games

Mind Games by Christine Amsden

bookshelves: author-request, e-book, mystery-shelf, paranormal, paranormal-romance

Mind Games by Christine Amsden is a 2014 Twilight Times publication.
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Evan breaks things off with Cassie after he learns a shocking secret that changes the entire dynamic between them. He can barely cope with the knowledge himself and he knows once Cassie finds out, things could never be the same between them. For all intents and purposes their relationship is done.
Cassie has no idea why Evan suddenly turned on her, but no matter what the reasons are, she's done playing games with him. A suspicious fire that kills the pastor's wife has the magical communtiy in an uproar. Cassie and her new partner, Wesley, are on the case and trying to keep the people in the community from letting their emotions override their common sense. She doesn't have time to think of Evan.. and besides that, Matthew Blair has developed an interest in Cassie. Although she is very cautious around Matthew it's not long before she finds herself leaning on his protection. Are her feelings for Matthew real or is she being manipulated? And why, oh why does Evan INSIST on protecting her all the time?
In the previous installment of this series, we get an idea of why Cassie's family has such an animosity towards Evan's family. This book leaves us with no doubts whatsoever as to why they feel that way. The big secret is finally out of the bag and it's just terrible. Imagine if you had wealth your entire life and thought the money was yours. Then you found out it didn't belong to you after all. The person it belongs to wants it back. How would you feel? Well, this situation is even worse . Evan has had magical abilities since birth. He doesn't know any other way of life. To lose it would be a physically painful process of transferring it to someone else. But, that isn't what scares him. What scares him is that his magical abilities are a part of who he is, it's what has defined him his whole life. How could he possibly make such an adjustment? Cassie doesn't know any of this as the story opens. She's in the dark , just like she has been from the beginning. Although Cassie hasn't the magical abilities her family and many others in the community has, she is one smart cookie. it won't take her long to figure it out and when she does...
Well it's a conundrum. Cassie does want her birthright- it is rightfully hers after all. Wouldn't you? Cassie has been scorned her entire life because she doesn't have magical abilities. Now it looks as if that wasn't just some fluke. For the first time in her life Cassie could stop feeling like an outsider. This is something she has longed for more than one could possibly imagine. It's the reason she is in constant need of protection, because she doesn't have the abilities she should have. With all that big drama going on, the case of the pastor's wife dying in the fire takes on a life of it's own. The pastor and his church blame the death on sorcery causing a panic and emotions to run high. Some in the community have decided to take advantage of that situation. Cassie could find herself a pawn in deadly game, especially since her new boyfriend is a powerful mind reader.
This series just keeps getting better. I know, I said that after I finished the last book, but this one was just as good. I could understand Evan's feelings, although I was rooting for Cassie. I think Cassie is really the stronger one of the two. Don't you? She has lived with this issue her whole life and is better equipped to handle it than Evan. However, if I had suffered all that Cassie had, I would want what was rightfully mine to begin with. The really sad thing is this has caused two people who love each other to have to end their relationship.
The tensions are high and the danger level is off the charts as Cassie absorbs one shock after another. This is a great mystery novel, there is humor , love, emotions, good and bad people and the still emerging strength of Cassie who continues to amaze . I loved it! This one is an A++ (5 stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind Games.

March 22, 2014 – Started Reading
March 22, 2014 – Shelved
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: author-request
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: e-book
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance
March 30, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Excellent review, Julie!