Anna's Reviews > Sword of Avalon

Sword of Avalon by Diana L. Paxson

Feb 09, 2010

liked it
Read in April, 2011

I've read all the Avalon books so far, this one is the latest volume placed after Ancestors Of Avalon and before Ravens Of Avalon, telling how the legendary sword, Excalibur was made. As much as I enjoyed reading this one, it was far not as good as Marion Zimmer Bradley's books in the Avalon saga, of course. I somehow couldn't really connect with the characters except maybe Velantos, and as in all Avalon-books, it was the usual "priestess-having-the-vision-of-something-holy-so-she-is-using-everyone-for-the-prophecy". Not that I disliked it, though, but I could foretell the plot, including which characters would survive and which ones would die. Neverthless, it was an interesting storytelling about the birth of Excalibur and an educational read about smithcraft.

Although English isn't my native tongue, I so often felt like reading grammatical mistakes and mistyping as well, also, I lost counting as for how many times I read the phrase "one by one". This was kinda bothering, giving me doubts whether Paxson can really use the English language well or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of Avalon.