Shayna Varadeaux's Reviews > Dissever

Dissever by Tracey  Ward

I received this book in exchange for an honest review via YA/NA Fanatics Group ARR program, here on Goodreads.

Oh. My. Gawd! I... I don't know what to say! That was so good! And now it's over! *sniffles* This book was so great and I fell hard for these characters, seriously!

I will start by saying that I love Edgar Allen Poe and Annabel Lee is one of my favorites.

Needless to say I was sucked in from the very first sentence and read on happily finding myself quickly immersed in a fantasy world created by Tracey Ward. Having never read anything from her I was delighted to have found a "new to me" author that I enjoyed. It's always like finding a prize in the cereal when you were a kid, fabulous!

Everything about this story rated 5 stars for me!

The Plot -It was unique and so intense. I love how it built and unfolded and the world surrounding this story felt real. All of the sights and sounds surrounding me as I disappeared into it's pages. It was easy to get lost in this story and see and hear nothing else.
I was rooting for the MC, Anna, the entire time and I was rooting for her counterpart Roarke as well.
I absolutely love that we meet them as children and follow them through the years. And then when troubles arise and truths are found it becomes a twisted tale of love and betrayal that is completely intriguing.

The Characters - Annabel Lee was a great character to watch grow and live. She was the picture of strength and even before it was mentioned you just knew she would bring about change. I liked her vulnerability just as much and fierce loyalty more than anything.
Roarke was a wonderful addition to the story and I loved the mystery surrounding the young friendship that blossomed into so much more. I loved getting to visit his people and seeing the intensity of his character in all it's eventually grown up swoon worthy glory. I liked that he was so certain at a young age as well.
Frederick, Elaine, Duke Walburton "Patrick", Mrs. Pomphel, Anna's mother and Roarke's parents were all truly great characters, rounding out a great cast. Even the Ila, and the High Priest were well written and intriguing.

The Scenery - The island where Anna grows up is shrouded in mystery and very well described too. The salty sea air and sound of waves crashing were easily imagined. The castle as well as the Tem Adeha village. The Tombs were so eerie and I got chills all over when I read about them. I could envision the black sea swirling with Undines churning inside it constantly. The Maze was a beautiful thing to me as well as The Orchard where we watched Anna and Ro grow up. The Cave was even a vivid depiction in my mind. (As well as one of my favorite parts!) I was dumbfounded at the end of this story when things came to a head.

(view spoiler)

I was so sad when it came to and end! I cried like a fool! Anna and Ro will forever be one of my favorite love stories read in 2014!

This is a great fantasy read and very YA too! I loved every second even the agonizing ones! I would recommend it if you love YA Fantasy! It really is a great read! I am going to read it again I can promise you that! I need the paperback asap! I need this book on my shelves!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dissever.

March 22, 2014 – Shelved