Kady's Reviews > Can't Shake You

Can't Shake You by Molly McLain

bookshelves: exceptional-chemistry, netgalley-book, steamy, sweet-heartwarming, 4-stars

Can't Shake You by Molly McLain
4 Stars
 photo CantShakeYouPicMonkeyCollage_zps7af2ec23.jpg
I think we've been over-dramatized within the New Adult genre. Because as I was reading this book, I kept waiting for the angst-filled back story and the self loathing, and the deep dark secrets I've become accustomed to. But there were no suicide attempts, abusive parents, or issues brought on by past violent attacks. It was just a matter of HONOR here. These two people who wanted each other desperately couldn't have each other. Because of HONOR.

Honor, you say? What's that?
 photo tumblr_mnoa237Lj81qj13q4o6_r1_250_zps872e3baf.gif

Well, here it's a matter of best friends making a promise years ago. It's a matter of keeping your word and caring about your reputation. It's a matter of not trying to move in on your buddy's ex. Maybe that doesn't seem like a huge conflict to us New Adult readers (WHAT? No cutting? No alcoholism? No abuse?!) But it was a very big deal to Josh and Carissa. And I thought it was actually kind of sweet and refreshing.

So Carissa and Josh met briefly and had a one night stand years ago. This one night stand was so amazing that neither of them were able to forget it. The one thing I kept waiting for was the flashback of THAT ONE AMAZING NIGHT. We got glimpses here and there of some of the events of that night, but I wanted EVERY single detail (Perhaps Can't Shake You #0.5 - the First Night Between Carissa and Josh Novella is coming out next? What do you think, Ms. McLain?)

Well, after this amazing night, Josh is deployed, Carissa moves to town, and she ends up dating Josh's best friend. When Josh comes back and finds out she's dating his best friend, he never says a word about their previous hook-up. And she never tells anyone either!

Now they are both single. She's lonely and looking for someone. But every time she almost hooks up or gets asked out on a date, Josh steps in with all of his hot alpha jealousy and puts a stop to it. This confuses Carissa, because she definitely still has a thing for Josh. And she begins to wonder if perhaps he still has a thing for her too?

They end up working together (and more). Their chemistry is off the charts! But they are conflicted about what they have together. I sort of appreciated their moral dilemma. I like characters who care about their friends' feelings.
She had to realize that giving in to their primal urges was wrong in every way imaginable. And the repercussions for getting involved again, if anyone ever found out, would be nothing less than nasty for both of them.

I wish they would have made some different choices because in life, even if your heart is in the right place, deception is never a good idea! But they had to learn this lesson the hard way. Nevertheless I was rooting for them and I really wanted them to have their HEA! I enjoyed reading Josh and Carissa's story - Josh was an honorable, sexy hero. I'm glad it was a standalone with NO CLIFFY. Overall, it was an impressive debut novel and I would read the other books in the series for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Shake You.

March 21, 2014 – Started Reading