Triwahyudi's Reviews > Getting to Yes: Negotiating an Agreement Without Giving In

Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher

Feb 08, 2010

Basically I would say that this book is normative and common knowledge book that put all the application methods into the theory. However I feel this book is very important as a handy book or guidebook for every negotiator while doing any negotiation. This book put all negotiation principles, techniques, and steps which sometime most negotiators forget to do during the negotiation process. The book is very easy to follow and the best point is we cannot disagree about the entire content of the book because all the concepts is generated from daily negotiation practice and people behavior within negotiation process. The book seems built based on abundant negotiation experience and it compiles a variety of negotiating techniques that are both clever and likely to facilitate effective negotiation.

As a practitioner, the best concept that I can learn from this book is how to dive into someone position to find its background and interest. I did many negotiation process but I never realize the importance of finding someone interest and then combine it with another party’s interest to make an agreement. Many times we only argued the position and found it only made the negotiation process near to the deadlock. Even though the position-arguing negotiation process resulted solution, it remained unsatisfying each party. Through solving the interest, the rationale behind out position, we can simplify the negotiation process and obtain better settlement without spending too much time debating about our position.
Another concept that I have learned very important, and I believe everybody does, is BATNA - Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement. During negotiation I always had so-called reserve alternative that I prepared if settlement or solution cannot be obtained. However I never assumed that this alternative would bring significant effect in decision making for each party during the negotiation. Therefore I never found and defined my reserve alternatives strategically; moreover I did not consider those alternatives as my power in playing the negotiation game. After understanding BATNA concept introduced in this book, I strongly agree about how important your reserve alternative in determining the result of negotiation.

These two concepts, interest-finding and BATNA, are very simple concepts that I am trying to apply them in my daily life, such as when negotiate with my work group, scholarship sponsor, professor, and even on the light case like negotiate with colleagues and roommate.

Suggestion for the reader, it will be better if we use preliminary assumptions as we reading Getting to Yes that this book mostly discuss about the negotiation technique and approach where all the parties are in equal position, distribute the same power, and stand in the same height. Also this book is tend to be work as advance handbook or guidebook that touch many important aspect deeply, but neglects other limiting factors as well as oversimplify the most troublesome problems inherent in the art and practice of negotiation.

I would recommend this book to be read for everybody who dealing with negotiation process in his/her daily life. This book is not only can be applied on formal negotiation process (such as office problem, political conflict, and international issue) but also on informal and small scale negotiation process, such as husband-wife relationship, sport team problem, etc. All readers also don’t have to applied all entire concept in this book because each concept can be applied separately depend on what kind of negotiation process that they are facing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting to Yes.