Beth G.'s Reviews > Angry Fat Girls: 5 Women, 500 Pounds and a Year of Losing It...Again

Angry Fat Girls by Frances Kuffel

Feb 08, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, memoir, obesity, non-fiction, bloggers, library-books
Read in February, 2010

I read Kuffel's first memoir, Passing for Thin, a few years ago, and I remembered liking it, so I was looking forward to reading this follow-up. In that first book, Kuffel lost half her body weight and found herself on what she called "the Planet of Thin." But her stay (like that of most people who lose weight) wasn't permanent. Over the next few years, during which she was promoting her book and blogging about her life, she regained half the weight. Through her blog, she met several women in the same situation, weight loss "relapsers" trying to lose the weight again. In this book, she tells her story as it intersects with these other women.

Unfortunately, this is where the book falls apart. She decides to write a "non-fiction novel" - while her own details are true, the other women are cast as fictional characters. My constant wondering about who these women really were kept distracting me from the story at hand. Kuffel also threads scientific research results about eating and obesity through the narrative. This is sometimes interesting, but mostly awkward. The writing style vacillates between straightforward journalism, nostalgic memoir, and florid prose, with chapter endings particularly susceptible to strangely philosophical meanderings.

The once-and-again-obese person trying to lose the weight for good is such a promising subject, but this doesn't quite feel like it was the book Kuffel was trying to write, which makes it doubly disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angry Fat Girls.

03/13 marked as: read