Christine's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

F 50x66
Feb 08, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: historical, school, fiction, romance
Recommended for: fans of period romance

This book reminded me of "Twilight," if "Twilight" had been better written, set at the turn of the 20th century, and starred Frank Lloyd Wright as the leading man instead of a sparkly vampire. Seriously. "Loving Frank" has the exact same (lack of) structure as "Twilight" - it's 98% meandering romance, and then for the remaining 2% it has an ending that comes out of nowhere and is so different from the rest of the book that it's practically a different genre. "Loving Frank" also has the same kind of characters as "Twilight" - Mamah Borthwick, Wright's lover, seems to be written so that any woman can relate to her, but the end result is that she comes across as oddly flat and unbelievable. And even Wright comes across as a cardboard stereotype of an eccentric artist in this, not a real person.

With that said, it's an enjoyable book if you go into it accepting that it's a light wish-fulfillment romance. Also, I have to give Horan props for how she handled the ending, which might be the most gruesomely, horrifyingly tragic thing I've ever read. People who know their Frank Lloyd Wright history probably won't find it that shocking, but I didn't know it was coming and it absolutely devastated me. Horan could have woven the ending in with the rest of the narrative better, but I think it's a testament to her writing that it struck so powerfully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.

February 8, 2010 – Shelved