AD Midd's Reviews > Reckless Magic

Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson

Mar 21, 2014

liked it

This isn't an easy review for me. I didn't hate this book. I didn't love it either. I think that the premise here is great and I am a complete sucker for any book with a Shakespearean back story (Romeo and Juliet) but there were way too many places where this book fell flat for me...

Plot Development: Things felt rushed here. Really rushed. One of my favorite parts of YA paranormal romance is the balance between gushy romantic scenes and epic battles. The author seemed squeamish on the later and too eager on the former. Though I have nothing against the "love at first sight" concept, but hers feels a tad contrived so she could get to the "I love yous" and "you're my soul mate."

Lack of Suspense: This goes hand-in-hand with the above plot development issues, but I don't feel like Higginson controlled her information well. There were parts of the story that I should have learned that I didn't and parts that I did learn that I needn't. I'm an impatient reader by nature, always flipping ahead and whatnot, and I felt no compulsion to do that in this book.

Typos: When I read indie books I know what I am getting into. However, misuse of the possessive and idiomatic phrase errors aren't hard for a good editor to catch. To wit, the phrase is "I couldn't care less." Saying "I could care less" implies that you care.

Ultimately, I think that the root my problem with Reckless Magic is that I am too much a book snob for my own good. Though I love indie novels, I cannot stand the undeveloped and, pardon the harshness of this one, amateurish ones. I need the author to be smarter than I am, or at least as smart when it comes to the "boring bits" of literature such as plot development, character roles, and (especially) literary allusions.

I think Higginson has a fantastic fantasy world designed here, but her ability to accurately portray that world and control her story and characters within it falls flat. She wants to reference Shakespeare, but only to use the word "star-crossed," she wants to develop a suspenseful "other" world but is too excited to tell us about it and gives away too much too soon, and she wants to create a strong heroine but instead ends up with a two-dimensional would-be savior in love with a boy because he's gorgeous. I never really connected with Eden and therefore I feel completely comfortable abandoning her.

This is a great book for the causal reader. The "Twilight"-type fan looking for gushing romance outside of our world. Basically, lit majors (like myself) need not apply.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless Magic.

Started Reading