Julia's Reviews > Gut gegen Nordwind

Feb 08, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: austrian, disliked
Read from February 08 to 09, 2010

I was really intrigued by the idea of this book: a modern epistolary novel written only in e-mails, exchanged between a man recovering from a year-long relationship and a - happily? - married woman who know each other only in the virtual world. A modern topic, with all those internet dating sites and with platforms where people form relationships with others based merely on internet profiles. Besides, Daniel Glattauer has been highly acclaimed by the Spiegel magazine and has written columns for my favourite newspaper, the Standard, which was a recommendation of its own for me.

Unfortunately, I intensely disliked the characters - seudointellectual, whiny, over-sensitive - the kind of people who claim to write an e-mail in half a minute while the style of the epistle is convuluted and artificially selected and in no way natural or fresh.

In favour of the book: it's an extremely fast read, and it kept me mildly interested in the outcome until the slightly surprising end.
So one star for the initial idea, and another one - though not a very bright one - for the construction of this ménage-à-trois.

Sorry to those i had recommended this too, i was eager to share some contemporary austrian fiction, but i can't wholeheartedly stick to this....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gut gegen Nordwind.

05/15/2016 marked as: read

Yoly I felt exactly the same about the characters. And think the best about about the book is that you can read it really fast.