Dave Holcomb's Reviews > Busman's Honeymoon

Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers

One of the few perfect novels: a mystifying "locked door" murder, an couple of unlikely romances, a high-society wedding, and a clutch of lovable, interesting, and enjoyable characters. Lord Peter Wimsey and his new bride Harriet Vane slip away to the countryside for their honeymoon only to discover that the house they've bought comes complete with a fresh corpse in the basement. The writing is elegant and intelligent, the romance between Peter and Harriet is fresh and engaging (as is the relationship between Peter and his valet Bunter), losing nothing of the individuality of the protagonists along the way. I've read this one more than once, and I still laugh out loud at regular intervals, while the unveiling of the murderer is still a moment of high drama. Sayers does not talk down to her readers: although I don't have the benefit of a turn-of-the-century Oxford education, I find the erudite, literate chatter of Lord Peter and his wife tremendous fun.

(One note: before reading this one, it's best to have first read "Strong Poison" and "Have His Carcase" in order to lay the groundwork for the relationship between the two principals.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Busman's Honeymoon.

March 20, 2014 – Started Reading