Adina's Reviews > The God of Small Things

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

bookshelves: booker, w-mwl-alternative, india, twins

This review is going to be a short one because that’s what happens when almost two months pass after I read the book. I avoided this novel for years although I knew it was a modern classic. I read that it was pretentious and confusing due to its nonlinear structure. I also had the impression it will be very long and similar to The Midnight Children (did not enjoy that one), only written by a woman. Some said that it is the worst Booker Winner. I am happy to report that none of my fears proved to be true. It was a very fast read, not that pretentious and with just a bit of attention I did not have any problems differentiating between the timelines. So, what I am trying to say, if you are also reluctant to read this, don’t be.

The prose is masterful and the story is heartbreaking. I know, I am oversensitive to stories about twins but still, it is hard to remain unmoved. It is a story about the injustice of caste-phobia, a problem still prevalent in modern India. It is a story about love, between siblings, between parents and children, between lovers. It is a story of loss, separation, revenge and injustice. There are so many excellent reviews out there that discuss this novel in detail and all of its themes that it is impossible for me to add anything new. I will only say that the novel made me feel a lot and I count on the fingers of one hand the books that affected me so much recently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of Small Things.

March 20, 2014 – Shelved
June 2, 2020 –
June 4, 2020 –
June 13, 2020 –
June 26, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Saksham One of my favourite books! Glad to see that you liked it as well. Was pretty fascinated by the wordplay in the book. And the prose was one of the most beautiful ones I've read to-date.

Jennifer I’m looking forward to your review. I loved this one, too.

Barbara H Saksham wrote: "One of my favourite books! Glad to see that you liked it as well. Was pretty fascinated by the wordplay in the book. And the prose was one of the most beautiful ones I've read to-date."

My feelings exactly!!!

Andreea I didn’t enjoy it that much, maybe because I read it right after other books by Indian authors. Looking forward to your review!

message 5: by C.W. (new)

C.W. Ashley Hi Adina, I will add this to my (very long) reading list.

Adina Andreea wrote: "I didn’t enjoy it that much, maybe because I read it right after other books by Indian authors. Looking forward to your review!" I know what you mean. i try to keep themes quite different but when I do not succeed I get one book that I would have enjoyed better otherwise.

Adina C.W. wrote: "Hi Adina, I will add this to my (very long) reading list." it is worth adding, IMO.

message 8: by Bianca (new) - added it

Bianca Great review. I bought the book when it came out, I'm yet to read it.

Aoife This also is a book that I held off reading for a long time yet when I read I thought it great. Emotionally difficult at times but beautifully written.

Barbara H Aoife wrote: "This also is a book that I held off reading for a long time yet when I read I thought it great. Emotionally difficult at times but beautifully written."

I positively agree. I loved the "word-play"!

Diana Serbanica For me it was only a 3. I red it some years ago and all the time something was missing. 8 can't even properly remember the plot, so definitely my rating was accurate. But I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Sidharth Vardhan It is one of my all time favorite books particularly from india. Loved the way she build children characters. Could empathise with them. Amazing review

Cecily I'm glad you were ultimately not put off by misleading comments about what this wonderful book is like. (However, I would caution you that her second novel, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, is very different from this.)

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie Hi Adina,
I've struggled to get anywhere with this novel, but I appreciate the inspiration here.
I'm curious about your comment: I know, I am oversensitive to stories about twins but still, it is hard to remain unmoved.
Are you a mother to twins? A twin? Do you have a shelf for stories centered around twins?

aayushi girdhar i read this book when i was in school and it took me years to understand the depth of the book! i agree with you, I also had the same initial impressions about it, but the prose is simply beautiful. Roy really deserves all the attention she got for this.

Stefan This was such a great book.

message 17: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!!!

Adina Bianca wrote: "Great review. I bought the book when it came out, I'm yet to read it." Give it a try soon.

Adina Diana wrote: "For me it was only a 3. I red it some years ago and all the time something was missing. 8 can't even properly remember the plot, so definitely my rating was accurate. But I'm glad you enjoyed it so..." I can understand why you did not like it more. It found me at the right time.

Adina Sidharth wrote: "It is one of my all time favorite books particularly from india. Loved the way she build children characters. Could empathise with them. Amazing review" i agree the children characters were very well done.

Adina Cecily wrote: "I'm glad you were ultimately not put off by misleading comments about what this wonderful book is like. (However, I would caution you that her second novel, [book:The Ministry of Utmost Happiness|3..." I have no intention to read that one. I saw enough negative reviews.

Adina Julie wrote: "Hi Adina,
:)) You got me. Yes, I am a mother of almost two year old boy/girl twins and that is why this book affected me so much. I could not conceive separating those two. That's also why i cannot read Hamnet although everyone is raving about it. I also have a twin shelf but I recently made it so it is a bit incomplete.

Adina aayushi wrote: "i read this book when i was in school and it took me years to understand the depth of the book! i agree with you, I also had the same initial impressions about it, but the prose is simply beautiful..." i think it is better understood when one is more mature. Being a parent also helps. i agree she deserved her fame.

Adina Stefan wrote: "This was such a great book." Agree.

Adina Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!!!" Thank you, Deanna

Tamar overwhelmed by work, but forging on.... What a beautiful review.

Adina tamar wrote: "What a beautiful review." Thank you Tamar

Vineet Jain While the genre is not magical realism, I found this story flow as well as Hundred years of solitude. One of my favourite books.

Adina Vineet wrote: "While the genre is not magical realism, I found this story flow as well as Hundred years of solitude. One of my favourite books." Hundred years used to be my favorite book. This one is different but just as good. Ok, maybe not but close.

message 30: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I enjoyed your review, Adina. A friend gave me this book years ago and I never got around to reading it, mostly because of the reasons you list. You've inspired me to dig out my copy & give it a try. Cheers!

Adina Michelle wrote: "I enjoyed your review, Adina. A friend gave me this book years ago and I never got around to reading it, mostly because of the reasons you list. You've inspired me to dig out my copy & give it a tr..." Give it a try. You will probably realize quite fast if it sucks you in or not.