LVLMLeah's Reviews > Sputnik Sweetheart

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

Mar 17, 2014

bookshelves: lesbian, off-beat, so-different-can-t-categorize

3 1/2 Stars-

This is a typical Murakami story. It's a mystery with lots of philosophical musings and psychological insights mixed in with fantasy. Mostly it's about the pain and longing of unrequited love.

If you've not read Murakami before and don't know how out there his stories can be, you might have a hard time with this. There's no clear ending or at least one with closure that eases the mind. However, this is what I love about his books. You're always wondering what's going on and you're left with more questions. Gives a lot of fodder for the brain. Whenever I've read any of his books, I basically let go of any logical, linear thinking and just allow myself to go with the flow.

I read this mostly due to the lesbian story in it even though most the story is told through K the male best friend of Sumire who is a lost woul-be writer. K is in love with Sumire, but she is in love with Miu, an older woman whom she gets close to then works for.

Just like K's love for Sumire is intense and causes deep longing in him, Sumire's un-returned love for Miu in the end breaks her. Or maybe it doesn't. It's more about the journey of these three people in dealing with their feelings vs any outcome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sputnik Sweetheart.

March 17, 2014 – Shelved