Becca's Reviews > Battle of the Ampere

Battle of the Ampere by Richard Paul Evans

it was ok
bookshelves: blah-diggity

There were so many problems with this book. I'm surprised I finished it. I picked it up because I currently can't get anything from the library (they hate me), I'm all out of book money due to my last purchase (a truly brilliant book), and it's one of the few books at my mom's house I haven't read. Next time I'll pass.

Does anyone else have a problem with adults knowingly sending a bunch of kids into danger and almost certain death? Hey you, fifteen-year-olds, here's a backpack full of explosives. Go blow up a superyatch with thousands of guards, a highly advanced security system, and a homicidal psycho on board!

Then there's the times the author conveniently ignores electricity's properties (like that metal conducts it), while at other times using those same properties to solve a problem. I really have a problem with authors who ignore their own rules for convenience sake.

Then there's the problem presented by Hatch. I cannot believe anyone would like and trust him enough to follow him. He has no redeeming qualities, so I really can't suspend my belief long enough to think he really could gain the trust of some smart teens, some highly sophisticated business people, and thousands of guards. I do think there are people out there like Hatch, with zero conscience, delusions of grandeur, and a serious need for medication, but I don't believe the majority of the population is stupid or desperate enough to follow people like this. There's usually some sort of redeeming quality that draws people to follow their lead.

And last I'm going to harp on today is how this book is actually written. It has such a condescending note to it. I think the author believes his target audience is stupid. Really. And it's annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle of the Ampere.

March 13, 2014 – Started Reading
March 17, 2014 – Shelved
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: blah-diggity
March 17, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Debra if you have special gifts(powers) you either use them for good or for evil. They chose to fight against evil and the adults are realizing that they are rather good at what they do.