Carrie Clevenger's Reviews > The Necromancer's Apprentice

The Necromancer's Apprentice by Icy Sedgwick

Mar 17, 2014

Who doesn't like a book with wizards, or at least magic? In this novella, Icy wields her extraordinary talent for world-building, opening the story in the dingy, destitute Underground City, where Jyx, the aspiring mage endures his time only in hopes of making something of himself. His mother has given up nearly everything to put him through magic academy, but that's not quite enough for him. In the wee hours of the morning, Jyx has a habit of snooping in the library, reading and learning incantations well beyond his level.
His little indiscretions capture the attention of the Necromancer General, Eufame, and he is invited to become her apprentice.

I really enjoyed this little book. The story sucked me right in, with the crisp non-flowery yet imaginative descriptions, the charming dialogue and Jyx's juvenile clumsiness. In fact, I'd say this was the best book I've read this year.

Recommended for fans of Harry Potter, Disney, classic horror movie buffs, and children of middle-to-old ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necromancer's Apprentice.

March 17, 2014 – Started Reading
March 17, 2014 – Shelved
March 17, 2014 –
30.0% "The story just sucked me right in! This is marvelous!"
March 17, 2014 – Finished Reading