Julie's Reviews > Molly Harper

Molly Harper by Emelle Gamble

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, e-book

Molly Harper by Emelle Gamble is a 2014 Posh Publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When we last checked in, ( see the novella- Duets), with Molly Harper she was about to marry Ben, a handsome and popular movie star. Her best friend and former lover, Cruz, who is about to be a father, was on his way to the wedding when he was in a terrible motorcyle accident. We are also let in a secret. Molly was adopted at birth and her parents never told her. Her birth mother has found out that the Molly's biological father had MS and so did several other members of his family. Anne must gather up her nerve and find Molly so she can inform her of her family's health history.
Now the story picks up a few years later and Anne has gotten in touch with Norma, Molly's adoptive mother. Cruz has mostly recovered from his accident, is trying to be good father to his son, despite the demise of his relationship with Char, and Molly and Ben on are the verge of a divorce, due to Ben's constant cheating.
Norma is in very fragile health and when she and Anne meet, Norma has a spell and is taken to the hospital. Anne finally sees Molly face to face and Molly really likes Anne. She still has no idea who she really is, but Anne's experience as a nurse gives Molly an idea. Norma needs someone to help her out and Anne seems like the perfect choice. Anne agrees to stop by and help Norma with her medications for awhile, which gives Anne and Norma a chance to bond. The two women become friends. Each has harbored secrets from their family for many years and for many reasons. Anne's sons have no idea they have a half sister. So, both women have a lot of explaining to do.
Meanwhile, Molly is under terrific stress as she deals with the press and the end of her marriage on top of rumors that she could be pregnant. Molly and Cruz are still in a state of limbo as Cruz stubbornly insist on remaining just friends and Molly is still helplessly and hopelessly in love with him. On top of all that Molly is now experiencing some odd health issues and Norma is frantic believing Molly could have MS.
As the sins and secrets of the past begin to seep out, the adult children of Anne and Norma attempt to absorb the shock. But, Norma and Anne are not the only ones harboring secrets. Molly may have a few secrets she needs to get off her chest as well.
I rarely gush over a book these days. I read at least one, sometimes two books a day and so I can be hard to move. But, this one really got to me. Trust me, you do not want to miss this one. Molly Harper finally achieved the goal she set for herself, which was to become a successful actress. While many believe movie stars live a charmed life, nothing could be further from the truth. Molly deals with her dying mother, the revelation she is adopted, meeting her birth mother and two half brothers, the break up of her marriage, and the loss of the man who is her best friend and also the man she has been in love with since her teens, the possiblity she could be pregnant or have a serious disease, all under the glaring spotlight of the media.
I loved the bond and friendship that Anne and Norma forged. Anne really liked Norma and vise versa. It as a shame they met so late in life. My heart did break for Molly on several counts, her mother's health and the relationship with Cruz were the two most heartbreaking situations. Cruz can be really frustrating. I understand, but I don't. I wanted to like him and I could relate to his feelings about Molly's career, but he seemed to have a hard time understanding that although Molly was an actress, she was capable of real human emotions. He seemed to thing that everything Molly did or said was some kind of performance. He didn't believe she ever really loved him. That was a little hard to take. Cruz hurt Molly over and over and over, much more than Ben ever could. All the same the limbo we feel Molly and Cruz are in is painful to read about. But, Molly does have time to prioritize and thankfully she decides to examine the possibility of a relationship with Anne, although she isn't too keen on the idea at first.
When all is said and done, I felt like maybe Molly was on the right track with her life. I don't know how her career will go , but her relationships are on a healthy path which should help remedy a lot of Molly's health problems. You will need a big box of tissues nearby when you read this one. Emelle really outdid herself with this novel. I loved every single page and lived every single moment right along with the characters. This is good stuff!!!
P.S. - there were some "Easter eggs" hidden in the book too! If you have read "Secret Sister", you will know what I mean- I loved that!
A++ (5 stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Molly Harper.

March 17, 2014 – Started Reading