Mr. Graham's Reviews > The Castle of Llyr

U 50x66
Feb 05, 2010

bookshelves: adventure, childrens, fantasy
Read in February, 2010

The Castle of Llyr is the third chapter in Prydain Chronicles. Our old favorite characters are developed, as much is learned about Eilonwy. It is enjoyable to learn the background of the main characters even as the story moves forward. In this book we learn a little more of Gwydion, the Prince of Don, who is idolized by our hero, Taran. We learn more of Achren, who was introduced in book #1 as an evil enchantress. In addition, some new and fascinating characters are introduced. It builds the anticipation of seeing these characters again as the series continues, and questions of what we will learn about the characters we know and love. And when will we see Doli again?

At this point in Taran's coming of age, he realizes that his bond with Eilonwy is more than neighborly and friendly. He struggles as he tries to protect and serve the man to whom she is to be betrothed. He shows great character in all this, while also showing us occasional glimpses of the old, hotheaded Taran.

Lloyd Alexander gives us great characters. They are flawed characters, but every one of the companions on the quest are courageous beyond measure, and utterly selfless. Taran learns to appreciate the good character in his rival whom he swore to protect. Gwydion continues to be the bigger than life idol of Taran. Gurgi and Fflewddur continue to be loyal to Taran and Eilonwy to the point of death if necessary.

Coll: "It may be we know least what we treasure most."

Coll: "There is nothing like work to put the heart at rest."

Gwydion: "The destinies of men are woven one with the other, and you can turn aside from them no more than you can turn aside from your own."

And so Taran grows and learns more of his place and responsibility, leaving you wanting to see where he goes next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Castle of Llyr.